PC Parts list

It looks fine but I don't really grade or play games.

Are you planning on overclocking?

The basics of Power supplies. 850w (in the case of the power supply you have listed) it the maximum this unit can draw for a little while under load. While I haven't calculated exactly what your machine would draw, I guess it'll be about 400w under strain, maybe a little more. You'll want a power supply to be able to handle more than the 400w, as putting it under constant strain isn't ideal. Color grading apps can often push your computer way more than most games.

To answer your question, if your power supply provides say 1000w and you only need 400w, it'll only supply 400w and the rest will stay there idle. It won't cause damage.

Your cooler. I prefer the Noctua range of coolers. Significantly quieter under load. Be careful with the size as their top unit is too big for some motherboards/cases.

Does that case have sufficient cooling? You could end up with a lot of heat giving you stability issues.

Dedicated special edition for the AMD AM4 socket
The 7700k fits on a s1151 board, this fan is specific for the AMD's AM4 motherboards.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it will fit properly in your machine.

it'll be compatible
If you see one in person you'll see what I mean. They're physically big, not just tall, but wide and long. I built a machine for my wife and the cooler unit was so large (I think it was called the B15), it blocked the video card slot. We had to source a replacement.

What makes the Noctua so appealing to me is they're supposed to be about 10 decibels quieter when under load than most of their competition.

I'm telling you. You're not going to want to use air cooling. Water Cooling not only cools the processor better than air, but it allows the PC to perform super quiet. Air cooling fans are noisy. It also gives room for overclocking in the future for speedily performance in video editing.

I'm telling you. You're not going to want to use air cooling. Water Cooling not only cools the processor better than air, but it allows the PC to perform super quiet. Air cooling fans are noisy. It also gives room for overclocking in the future for speedily performance in video editing.

Do you have a specific recommendation?
Hardware isn't my forte. Although I did get an A in systems architecture I don't keep up with anything and my knowledge is mostly theoretical.

While it used to be a factor, there's no longer any good reason for this. Air cooled heat sinks perform within a few degrees without the associated risks or water cooling.

On top of that, the brand I suggested is about 10 decibels quieter than most water cooled devices.

If you are building your own tower computer, as it seems, the more fans and vents the better for a gamer computer. Gamer computers are recommended for editors because after gamers, editors have the greatest hardware demands for computers video through put and processing power. If you intend to overclock your CPU, a strong additional fan by the CPU is useful. Have another one for the hard drives and optical drives and another one over the motherboard. They all contribute to a hot computer interior. I have heard of dual port video cards for gamers and some video editors. Back in the days, Tiger Direct use to carry custome hardwre for computer do-it-yourselfers .

These days, I will get a big manufacturer to custome build one and get a warranty with it. If your DIY overheats and the CPU is cooked, the repair expenses are on you. The more cores, the more expensive the CPU.

The CPU you are considering got a warning from Intel to computer users not to overclock that series of CPUs. They are cooking when you do.

Just things to consider.

Last edited:
Water Cooling not only cools the processor better than air, but it
allows the PC to perform super quiet. Air cooling fans are noisy.

Only problem is that the water usually passes through a radiator type thing
which is cooled with fans, and there are models that have a fan on both sides
of the radiator unit. It might be less noisy than an air cooling setup, but my
box under load can get a bit loud--both GPU & CPU are water cooled (3 fans).
It's best to check the specs if noise level is a concern... but if you have the
luxury to put the box on the other side of the wall :yes:

You got a good model :]
And there is also the pump to consider, the power supply and any other fans
the box might have. It all adds up and if noise is a concern, all the fans needs
to be considered. Might be worth spending a few extra bucks on quality fans.

Back