Loud Sound While Using Adobe Premiere CS5.5 on an iMac.

I just started using the trial version of Adobe Premiere CS5.5 on my iMac, which runs at least Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (possibly later). The computer has a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor; 16 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, a 251 GB Solid State Drive and a 1 TB SATA Hard Drive.

Soon after I started actually working with clips of my footage in Premiere I started noticing that, as I navigate through them (moving the red line through the clips) I notice an extremely loud noise that occurs, always around the same parts of various clips. I also notice it when I navigate entirely away from Premiere to other applications. When Premiere is not running, the sound does not occur. It's a static, popping, clicking sound. Turning down my computer's volume doesn't reduce it, nor does adjusting the sound levels within Premiere. It's so loud and abrupt that I'm concerned that it may damage my computer's speakers.

Given that it occurs whether or not I'm actually working directly with clips, I don't think anything is wrong with my files, but maybe there's some sort of compatibility issue?

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem and how to satisfactorily eliminate it?

Anyone else experience something similar?

The first question that comes to mind is, do you have the same problem with the same clips loaded into Imovie or Final Cut? This is one way to isolate the cause.

I imported a clip into iMovie and, so far, I seem to be able to work on it without any audio or other problems. Granted, I haven't spent much time with it at all in iMovie, but this same clip (and many other of my clips) had been problematic in Premiere immediately after I imported them.

So, what now?

Last edited:
Actually, tech support is my field.

Here is something else to help narrow down the problem.

Open your settings and preferences tabs in both Imovie and Premiere and check specifically the video and audio preference defaults. Make sure Imovie and Premiere are set up identically in both editing programs. One difference with Imovie to Premiere can be your whole problem.

Actually, tech support is my field.

Here is something else to help narrow down the problem.

Open your settings and preferences tabs in both Imovie and Premiere and check specifically the video and audio preference defaults. Make sure Imovie and Premiere are set up identically in both editing programs. One difference with Imovie to Premiere can be your whole problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I looked over the preferences from within each of those two programs but the options available in iMovie don't really even compare to those in Premiere Pro. iMovie doesn't even have an audio section in its Preferences box. Meanwhile, in Premiere, there doesn't seem to be one section that deals solely with video. They're wholly different from each other.

Back