New Indie Film Tech Tip: C-Stands 101

I had some time on my hands and made another Tech Tip. This little clip covers basic use of C-Stands. When I went to film school, they didn't have any C-Stands, so when I graduated and started freelancing and the first time I saw one I was thinking "What do I do with that?" It's something basic that I should have known, so now, you can know.

Scott's Filmmaking Page

Enjoy.

Scott

Nice work Scott! I've worked with C-stands plenty before, and this does a good job of explaining them. Make sure you put a bottle over the ends though!

Also, You only need one dirt on one of the legs if its something light but if you have a huge flag up or are using it in conjunction with another Cstand to hold up a huge flag dont be afraid to toss a couple of dirts on each one. The last thing you want is some producer or PA accidentally kicking the cstand and ruining a 1/2hr of work.

WideShot said:
...if you have a huge flag up or are using it in conjunction with another Cstand to hold up a huge flag dont be afraid to toss a couple of dirts on each one.

Also if you are outside and it is windy. Learned that one the hard way...goodbye bounce screen.

Poke

You guys are right. If you're outside and flying a big silk or flag, sandbag all legs.

This reminds me of a funny and somewhat sad story I heard many years ago. A crew was shooting in southeast Asia, I'm not sure which country. Anyway, the wind starts to kick up and the producer tells the Unit Producton Manager to go to town and get some sandbags. A while later he returns with a truckload of guys and no sandbags. The producer says what's up and the UPM says, sandbags were .15 a day and the guys were only .10.

Scott

LOL@C47 attachment clip.

Hey Dan.. whats expensive about some plastic sand bags and a bag of play sand? i think you could fill about 5 of those bags (10 pounds each) with a 50 pound bag from Home Depot at 3 bucks each.

Rice is a good alternative though.

BTW.. the C Stand looks like those things they use in the Hospitals for IV's. Im wondering if you can buy a C Stand at a medical supply center.

Back