A more economical alternative to the Red?

By Hollywood standards, I guess the Red is the ultimate poor-man's camera. But I'm considering the possibility (likelihood) that I won't be able to afford it. I haven't entirely ruled-out the 5D or another DSLR, but I'm hoping to avoid that. This looks like a nice alternative, and would probably be affordable to rent:

http://vimeo.com/32067654

I'm not a camera techie. For those of you who are, what are your thoughts on this? The goal of the movie is theatrical distribution.

Or, let me ask it this way -- if you wanted to make a movie that you want to get into theaters, but you couldn't afford the Red, what would you shoot on?

I agree with Richy's comments above. Having played with the three cameras I mentioned on page 1 of this thread -- the bottom line is how much money do you have to spend?

The F3 (camera choice 1) is awesome! AND open-ended for new technology Sony has planned in the short run and long run... camera choice 3 FS100, also sweet, but the difference(s) are there. You get what you pay for.

Adding to the F3 @ $13,500.00 (get the K, the 3 lenses are worth the $5,000.00) -- additional needed accessories raises the price up another $4,000.00+ (if you go with the new, zoom lens -- add $12,000.00). You have spent $25,000.00 on a close-to image-quality of a higher end Sony Cine Alta camera... (but the difference(s) are there -- deja vu -- you get what you pay for) approximately 60% less then a fully equipped RED (my numbers could be off a bit -- but not much).

$25,000.00 IS a lot of money! I don't have it (the picture of me 2 left with cash is a PHOTOSHOP dream...).

My two cents... I am not rich or famous...

$25,000.00 IS a lot of money! I don't have it (the picture of me 2 left with cash is a PHOTOSHOP dream...).

I love it.

http://vimeo.com/33025136 -- I did not shoot this.

GH2 with the old 42Mb/s Hack, Nikon Lenses, 11-16/2.8 Tokina

Form your opinions, I say nothing!

And I say nothing too!

Not really. Yeah, gosh, that is a pretty kick ass film. No doubt about it. And it does have the roomiest feel of the GH2 videos I've seen.

But, still, I would have to say...

Back