"independent contractor" for documentary, how much to charge?

i answered an ad on craigslist asking for a crew for a documentary, and they emailed me back asking me to state my hourly price. i'm applying for either photographer, DP, or Cinematographer position. obviously i want to get paid well for my time, but dont want to over-charge and have him go with someone else. this would be my first paid video gig, and have no clue what i should charge.

any opinions?

For a first gig, if it's their gear, $100 a day is a good guestimate to pad your reel. If it's your gear, double. If you need an assistant, they should pay for that.

Basically it'll come down to them choosing low cost newbies or pay high bucks for experienced pros, a crap shoot, so, you need to KNOCK THEM DEAD WITH CONFIDENCE and maybe they'll take your reasonable rate.

This is how I see it. Say it's a 10 hour day:

You can go and say:

My hourly rate is $10. Which can either lead to them saying yes we will take you or they will think "What the hell? 10 an hour is nothing, this guy doesn't have a clue what he is doing"

Or you can say that your hourly rate is 80 bucks and they will either say, nahh to expensive or think, hmm, this guy is pretty expensive so he must be pretty experienced.

You need to judge your skill level. How much do you think is a good price? How much have you invested in gear, what gear are you bringing and how much money do you need to justify that.

Are you travelling there by car? Are your expenses included in the $100? Or is that extra? In London if you get paid 100 pounds and have to travel to the city by either train or car, that will leave you with about 85, if not less for the shoot, because the rest was travel. Food. Paid or not? If not, knock at least another 10-15 for a few sandwiches and drinks. Ohh, that's only 70 left. It's all stuff to consider.

I think $100 is too low, especially if you bring own gear. If however, you really see the aim in the project and want to donate your time for a good cause or something you're really passionate about, by all means, do it!

i'm assuming i would be using my gear, a 5d2, a few lenses (by then will include a couple pieces of L glass), a rig, and possibly a stabilizer with arm. i'll quote him $110 a day if i use his or 200 if i use mine.

I'd consider asking what rates they've been offered... then answer appropriately depending on whether you want the job or not.

Some people don't like being asked that, but what's the worst that can happen? You'll still be in the dark and perhaps they'll be miffed them a little. Best case, you'll have better knowledge of where to pitch.

Back