UK Locations for Filming

Hey all,

I have been looking at various loaction for filming outdoors around the UK.

just wanted to know how do you find out who owns the location and do you need permission to film on that location in the United Kingdom.

Also does anyone know if you have to pay to use a location in a short film?

How do you lot all get round location etc and getting hold of the right contacts and information

Thanks

The length of the film doesn't make a difference to whether you have to pay or not I'm afraid.

Every outdoor location will have an owner- either private or public. Even if it is public you will still need the permission of the council in order to film there if you have a crew larger than (I think) 5. If it's just you with a camera and an actor then that's fine, no permits needed, but as soon as you want to put down sticks and get a cast and crew in you need permission.

Many private places will be free if you ask the owner politely. Likewise the council are obligated not to charge you but there may be a cover charge for someone either opening access to the location or overseeing the shoot. This can be as much as a few hundred quid per day.

Your best bet is to contact your local film office. For instance, taking your location as an example, you want to contact Vision and Media in your area. I have provided the link to get started.

But in all honesty I think that, especially with outdoor locations, you are better of trying to find a friendly private owner who doesn't mind you filming on their land.

hey thanks for the reply, I followed the link to that site but just get a black page with funny colours down the left hand side

will try and find a private owner see how i get on

Back