Check out the Trailer to this short film I helped to Co-Write, It's titled Loveheist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkuKRig7-s

Check it out and Tell me your thoughts everyone. I'm new to this board, I appreciate all thoughts and opinions.

Loveheist is a story based inside the world of Christopher Nolan's "Inception" I.E. kind of like The Animatrix had small side stories based inside the world of The Matrix. The plot of Loveheist is simple. A small lesser known Extraction team wants to use "Inception" to help a guy get a girl which he can never get. It goes even deeper than that...dont wanna give away to much :D

If anyone is in New York city this Saturday (May 7th), and you are in the Union Square area, you can come check it out, it's being premiered inside of the NYFA(100 East 17th Street, New York) Screening room from 2-6 along with a bunch of other short films.

Thanks for the support:cool:

I would turn down the volume of the music a tad, and match it with the dialog. I would also not mention Inception...I mean if it's a direct rip-off, then I guess that's just giving a heads up...but if it's an original piece in a lot of ways, don't mention it.

That chick looks like the girl from Crash a little. Definitely pretty.

Is the love they're trying to heist that mixed chick? Because she's totally heistable!

Yes, she's badass, has that Thandie Newton/Zoe Saldana vibe.

Nice photography, graphics, technical proficiency, but my big issue is, after watching the trailer, I couldn't tell you want the movie is about other than cute young people firing guns. I need more than that normally to get me to see a movie, although Ms. Badass kinda makes a compelling case all by her lonesome.

The other thing, who is Dan Wang? Am I supposed to know who he is? He's presented to me as if it's someone I should know and get excited about and that I'm supposed to want to see the movie cuz his name is attached, otherwise is comes off as grandiosity.

I have questions to, how long are short trailers supposed to be?

Risking sounding like an asshole:
I wouldn't put time an effort on a movie inspired by other movie. Specially when trying to succeed with a short film.
A rule of amateur VFX: Ir you can't do it right, don't do it. Muzzle flashes do not look good, and I don't think they are using tracer bullets.
Weapon handling is terribly unrealistic. ie: 1:03, he is not even aiming the gun, and not in a "shooting from the hip" kind of way, but in a "I want to do everything in my power to miss every single shot" kind of way.

Now, I am far from knowing what the movie is about, and leaving everything siad behind, it does look fine, with nice acting and camera work.
I'm willing to bet that the story is quite fun, experimenting with dreams, but you might be taking it too far, when including totems, and sticking to the original in way to many points.

I really hope that this is well recieved at the showing.

Again, I don't want to seem like an asshole, just felt like pointing out things that might backfire.

EDIT, I just browsed the channel. Epic Breakfast Time looks awesome.

Last edited:
I don't see any real problem with the 'Inspired by Inception' tagline thing. In fact I think it's a refreshingly honest way of doing business on YouTube...

I can't comment on the special effects (see above) but you need to sort out the audio levels between music and dialogue. I could barely hear a word they said.

Looks good though :)

Trailers aren't credits. Unless a name has some chance of drawing viewers into the seats, dont bother with showing it. That said, I suppose as a filmmaker there is some "branding" value to having your name on everything you do, so maybe something like "a film by soandso" is good.. the rest, is just wasting my time... (unless of course the names are recognizable, and Im sure there are some politics involved, ego payoff etc.. )

I think everything other than the dialog to soundtrack ratio (40/60? Sh!t! Sounds terrible. Should be 70/30, max) is quite good.

Until the SFX come in.

Anyone know how to help him get rid of those layering rings?
(I can grunt and point at stuff and still not know how to fix it. Sorry.)

20110509LoveheistSFXIssue.jpg

Back