Just My Personal Opinion

My movie Us Sinners has been called by reviewers a movie for True Horror Fans. It's also been called the worst piece of shit ever made. The one thing I personally guarantee is the ending is a 100% shocker. We had one showing at the Spooky Movie Red Eye Marathon and while there were very few people there, two of them jumped out of their seats and one yelled "Holy Shit". Even the people that hate it, think the ending pretty much rocks.

The acting in it is better then any micro-budget movie, and has been said by many to be on par with decent budgeted horror flicks.

Some will argue shooting it 29 fps was not a bright idea. But, the people that have enjoyed it, haven't had any complaints. There are (were) movies shot 29 fps before Us Sinners that made festivals.

I've entered just about every horror festival there is. Us Sinners hasn't gotten into one. But, I know some of the crap that has. That's what pisses me off. These movies have only one thing that Us Sinners doesn't and that's some minor B-Actor's name on the poster.

It doesn't matter if Us Sinners has better acting, better kills and one of the most original disturbing endings in a very long time. They have some schlub on screen for 10 minutes and they will get a spot.

If your movie can get into a festival it's a wonderful thing. And if it's a widely known festival it has a good chance at a distribution deal. But, personally I won't waste anymore money. Because I've seen what these festivals choose, and it's not quality. It's what might bring ten more people into the theatre.

Festivals don't care if the audience goes home disappointed. A good example is go to Zooey Deschanel's imdb page, and look at all the indie work she's done. I love her, but she has made some awful movies that should never have been made. The really bad "artsy" ones have all been in numerous festivals. Not because they deserved to be, but because of her name. I love Indie films, and there are plenty out there. But these are trash.

Well the discussion has been great and I am loving it. Just few days back I heard about a local film festival KARA FIL Fest (Pakistan) that’s some of their awards are not honestly given because they have to attract internationals film community. Ok I can agree at this level because the terrorism etc scene going on here needs tactics like that. But it is hard to believe that a fest at any place like US or any other will have these type of tactics. I also believe that the first thing for the FEST MANAGEMENT is money and after all it is the truth of life that you need money for your bread and butter first. With empty stomach you cant think of Arts and Craft (sorry if some one is hurt) and may be the Fest MAMNAG didn’t had believe in your movie. I personally will love to go to a FILM FEST but when it comes to my own film I will personally rely on self distribution rather then looking at some one else to sell my movie. The only advantage I think an indie filmmaker can get from FILM FEST is that he can make contacts and if the movies is good he can create a buzz of his name(in the list of potential filmmaker), and if…if ucky he might get a deal but it looks too hard these days. .

Every Festival is Different

The festival circuit is a tough game. Every festival is different and every year of operation is different. As someone who has been involved with both filmmaking and festivals, I have been seen both ends of this. I was involved with multiple movies that couldn't get into a festival to save a life, and I was involved in another movie that years later, still gets invited to festivals because it fills seats, but the latter movie never even officially entered any of the festivals it screened at -- it was being invited while still in production, because of the genre.

As a part of festival, one of the most difficult decisions the screening and programming committee is confronted with is the final selection. Every year, there just isn't enough time to show every movie a festival would like to show.

In one way or another I have been a part of festivals that screen for the pure love of the art form and do not conform to what will simply fill seats, and I have seen the other side as well as a filmmaker. It's been interesting to say the least.

We should all keep in mind that not only are we supporting one another by going to festivals (of all types), but we are learning more about film making than when we watch a big-budget film.

We were talking last night about this...and I agree...you can't really learn how to make good films by watching hugely budgeted films...sure, you get the basic concepts, and some cool ideas...but it's when you watch a low to no-budget film, that's when you learn how to do what you do on a limited budget. Money is replaced with creativity on indie productions. Want to learn how to do a certain shot with certain restrictions...watch an indie film, not a blockbuster.

There is so much to learn from independent films...films that have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Films that aren't controlled by investors or producers (for the most part)...films that take chances. Films that have massive budgetary restrictions...you can learn so much from them.

It's almost like a wine class...learning the traits of a good wine. When at first you learn, they put three liquids out in front of you...they put sugar water, lemon juice, and overly steeped tea...when you try each one, you get an exaggerated taste of what qualities wine holds, as well as the glaring flavors that produce bad wines--tannins, acids...ect.

My odd point being, that while watching independent films, we sometimes get an exaggerated example of what TO DO and what NOT TO DO. Sometimes we get subtle flavors, and sometimes we get puckering responses, or mouth watering complexity.

I really try to see festivals in my area. A good thing about New England, is many of the 'name' indie production companies know each other...and for the most part we support one another when screenings take place, or premieres are held. Sometimes it's cliquee...but overall it's good sympatico (sp?)...

Yes there is a lot of crap...but sometimes you run into some diamonds, and when you do this it gives you not only the opportunity to learn and support...but also to network and potentially share resources...especially at our level, which is always nice.

Last edited:
Back