Using sounds of a public domain movie for making music

Hello,
I have a question regarding a a musical piece I´ve made using sounds from a public domain film. The film is "Zontar, the Thing from Venus", which is a TV movie that fell in public domain. I took different parts of the movie and processed them drastically with different audio filters, mixed the results and made an experimental piece of music with it.
After making it, I read that some films may be in public domain, but the script may be still copyrighted as well as the music. Is this true? Then I read that the music from Zontar was stock music, so I don´t know if the music from the film is copyrighted or is in public domain as it was included in a public domain film.
On the contrary, in a music magazine, I read a tutorial in which they use some phrases from "Killers from Space" as they state that this is a public domain movie.
So I don´t know what to do.
I don´t plan to sell the experimental music piece I´ve made, however I want to include it in an experimental album that I will give for free through the web.
So my question is if I am allowed to do it and if it is legal
I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

I'm not an attorney, but I'm 99% sure that "public domain" means just that.
The sheet music or screenplay may be private, but you're lifting a recording of what was released into... THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Furthermore, you've "processed them drastically with different audio filters, mixed the results" meaning you're even more protected under the fair use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Furthermore, honestly, how many people are going to watch this experimental horror, identify your processed and filtered audio and spend thousands of dollars for an attorney to send you a cease and decist order through your local probate judge/magistrate's office?
Pfft.
You wish for that kind of attention. :lol: Just kiddin'.

You're okay.
Gopherit!

I just used an audio clip in a music video from an old TV show that, according to everything I've found, is in the public domain. I'm not worried about using it. Could someone decide to sue me over it? Sure. But anyone can sue anyone over anything.

You can do ANYTHING YOU WANT with anything that is in the public domain. Hell, you can burn DVDs and sell them for profit (Walmart does it, so can you).

So yeah, do what you will with the audio (so long as you're positive that it's in the public domain).

One thing I'll mention -- though you're not required to, it's common courtesy to include the filmmakers (or composer) in your credits, and their work that you used.

So yeah, do what you will with the audio (so long as you're positive that it's in the public domain).

You have to keep in mind that (99.9999% of the time) the person who did the audio post and provided original sounds only gives permission to the director/producer/whoever to use the sound mix created by the audio post team for the film. The audio post entity still retains the copyrights to the original sounds themselves. So even though the film and it's soundtrack (the soundtrack includes the dialog, Foley and sound effects) may be in the public domain, the individual sounds themselves may still be under copyright.

This basic scenario also applies to the score.

So pulling out an individual gunshot or punch - or using an orchestra hit in your rap song - may be in violation of copyrights.

This is why you should always contact an entertainment attorney in regards to situations like this; there are ALWAYS caveats of which you may be unaware.

Back