Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Tech Help

Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #16
oakstreetphotovideo
Basic - Premiere Expired

Just a side note about backups ...
I've had backup drives fail and then I have to figure out what was on the dead drive and make new backups. I still keep 2 copies on hard drives these days, but I archive all of my source footage to Blu Ray disks for safe keeping. Optical disks don't have electronics to fail or heads to crash and quality media stored in cool, dry conditions can last a very long time.
I use a little utility I wrote to catalog every optical disk after I burn it, so I can find any file by searching the catalog to determine what disk it's on.

I made the leap to FCPX grudgingly because I bought new hardware that came with a newer OS. In the beginning, I hated it. Now I'm pretty happy with it. Someday I need to brush up on Davinci because that is free and has some excellent color correction features. It is also cross platform.

For video editing, I'd recommend a nice iMac over a Mac Pro. Apple did something with the recent iMacs that makes them outperform my 12 core Mac Pro on many editing tasks. You can find people ranting about this in the forums ... it's not just me. I have a 2017 27" iMac with retina display and it makes a great editing machine for 4K. Of course, you'll have to replace your firewire drives with USB-C/Thunderbolt or buy an expensive adapter ... which is why I'm getting tired of Apple and leaning towards other options for the future.

... but I have really digressed.

If you're going to use hard drives as backups, keep some kind of catalog of what is on the drive, so you know what you need to backup somewhere else if it fails. Otherwise, a Blu Ray burner isn't that expensive and 25GB disks are pretty reasonable.
oakstreetphotovideo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #17
Jack08
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAl View Post
Ho geez. Well, first of all... I never use Seagate. I have G-tech drives cominí out my ears and theyíre compatible with even my older Macs (OS 10.x) that have legacy software on them. Not sure what Seagate did in their drivers that canít work with your 10.4 system but thatís a bit ridiculous. Go get yourself a G-tech drive or two for projects moving forward.

Your 2TB drives are formatted to Fat32 or exFat, which is why they have a 4GB/file limitation. You need to clear one of those drives off and reformat it to HFS using your Macís disk utility. Then you should be able to move as much data as you need to.

USB drives are not for editing. Theyíre for backup. For each project I have a Thunderbolt drive I use for editing, and a USB drive that I use to keep a backup of all my footage, sound, and graphics.

While, in theory, as long as the OS is not updated past compatibility with FCP 6, it is never a good idea to update OS or software mid-edit. It may be fine, but if something goes wrong itíll wreck your project, possibly past the point of getting it back.

If youíre gonna update, youíre gonna need to really update. That means the latest OS and FCPX.

To move a project from FCP6 to FCPX requires a little song and dance. Keep your old Mac running with 10.4.11 and FCP6 in case you need to go back fro any reason. Youíll export an XML file from your FCP6 project. Then youíll use an app called SendToX on your new Mac Pro to import the XML as a FCPX project. Youíll get your timeline back, but youíll lose any color correction and Motion compositing you may have done. Itís better than having to re-edit from scratch by using a reference video.

Just know that the shift from FCP7 and earlier to FCPX is pretty drastic, and X has a bit of a learning curve. But itís worth it in the end.
What you said makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

I just talked to my boss today about purchasing more hard drives. I'll do some research on the G-tech drives. It would be really nice to have some drives compatible with my old mac and modern machines.

That makes sense on HFS+. Thankfully I just found a drive I believe will be perfect for getting my project footage to my old mac editing station! Will let you know how it goes.

I will hold off on updating my Mac then. If all the transferring goes well, I shouldn't have to.

What you said about transferring my project from FCP 6 to X is incredibly useful! I will likely do this once I get our new machine. Gonna research more on which one to get!

I'll also research how to use FCP X when we get it!

Thanks again Acoustic! I would have been WAY more in the dark on so many things if not for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakstreetphotovideo View Post
Just a side note about backups ...
I've had backup drives fail and then I have to figure out what was on the dead drive and make new backups. I still keep 2 copies on hard drives these days, but I archive all of my source footage to Blu Ray disks for safe keeping. Optical disks don't have electronics to fail or heads to crash and quality media stored in cool, dry conditions can last a very long time.
I use a little utility I wrote to catalog every optical disk after I burn it, so I can find any file by searching the catalog to determine what disk it's on.

I made the leap to FCPX grudgingly because I bought new hardware that came with a newer OS. In the beginning, I hated it. Now I'm pretty happy with it. Someday I need to brush up on Davinci because that is free and has some excellent color correction features. It is also cross platform.

For video editing, I'd recommend a nice iMac over a Mac Pro. Apple did something with the recent iMacs that makes them outperform my 12 core Mac Pro on many editing tasks. You can find people ranting about this in the forums ... it's not just me. I have a 2017 27" iMac with retina display and it makes a great editing machine for 4K. Of course, you'll have to replace your firewire drives with USB-C/Thunderbolt or buy an expensive adapter ... which is why I'm getting tired of Apple and leaning towards other options for the future.

... but I have really digressed.

If you're going to use hard drives as backups, keep some kind of catalog of what is on the drive, so you know what you need to backup somewhere else if it fails. Otherwise, a Blu Ray burner isn't that expensive and 25GB disks are pretty reasonable.
I see, I really needed to hear this! I'll put more thought into how I back up all my data.

One of our doctors seemed to really care about getting the Mac Pro, but I'll bring your perspective to him, which I think he'll appreciate it. I'm so used to old equipment that I need to do a better job keeping up with what would best suit our editing needs!

Thank you so much for your input as well! I'll keep you both in the loop!
Jack08 is offline   Reply With Quote