How many have you seen?

I've watched five, not counting one I started watching that couldn't hold my interest (My Summer of Love). The five I watched all the way through were:

Idiocracy
The Iron Giant
Moon
Rescue Dawn
The Rules of Attraction

I particularly loved Rescue Dawn and Idiocracy.

I thought Moon was not that good but I guess considering it was low budget I guess it was ok. I just thought it should have had more actors in it. I did not like Idiocracy at first I liked it more after several watches. It's good but not the best film ever. Been a while since I have seen the Ref or Primer so I will not comment on them. I enjoy time travel movies so of course I had to watch primer.

Below are the ones I seen.

Idiocracy
The Iron Giant
Moon
The Ref
Primer

I thought Moon was not that good but I guess considering it was low budget I guess it was ok. I just thought it should have had more actors in it.
Wow. A movie about one guy, all alone and how that affects a person
and you thought it should have had more actors in it.

I think 11 or 12 of them. Some others are on my to-see list. Like, I've Loved You So Long has been on it for a while. I've long wanted to see Perfect Blue, but found it difficult to find, short of ordering and buying it outright. But, ever since Roger Ebert (I think) suggested it was an anime version (as in kind, not a cover of) of Blade Runner, I've wanted to see it.

Yeah, it's been a while, so maybe it's not fair, but I don't recall loving Primer either. Nor did I love The Orphanage. It was okay.

One of the other interesting gems on that list that I have seen is Wristcutters: a Love Story. And I liked Prime quite a lot when I saw it. I wonder if that's made it onto people's radars as much as it deserves? I think I remember Box of Moonlight being fairly charming and intriguing.

Interesting list. I look forward to looking some of them up.

Last edited:

:lol:

I thought Moon was great, especially for what it was. Great example of not needing a ginormous budget, or 100 locations, or 25 actors to be able to tell a really good, compelling story.

I've seen 2.... just 2... and whoever compiled that list made me decide to never see the other 48, because they had "Idiocracy" on that list.... which is a terrible movie.

Wristcutters is kinda cool though

I've seen 2.... just 2... and whoever compiled that list made me decide to never see the other 48, because they had "Idiocracy" on that list.... which is a terrible movie.

Wristcutters is kinda cool though

Idiocracy is good at what it tries to be. I thought it was very funny and is a film I will always stop on if I'm channel surfing and see it.

I've only seen 3. And The Ref was the only one of those I liked so I'm not putting much faith in EW.com's taste.

Sounds like I should check out Moon and Perfect Blue though.

Next question: which movies do you think need to be added to this list?

The two I can think of are The Soloist and Born Into Brothels.

Jamie Foxx's performance, in The Soloist, is the most truthful and heartfelt acting I've ever seen in my life. Some here know I'm prone to hyperbole, but in this instance I'm being earnest. He absolutely blew me away, and it's a shame that the studios chose to basically abandon this movie.

Born Into Brothels, everyone I tell about it assumes it will just be a depressing smack in the face. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's simply beautiful, both visually and in the heart, and a true inspiration.

The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things directed by Asia Argento.

Difficult to watch, but really well acted, especially by the kid and Asia proves he has some directing chops.

In the emergency room, the doctor said, "I'm sorry, I can't operate on this person, for he is my son".

But, the father died in the crash.

Then who is the doctor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40

When I was a kid, that riddle actually stumped people. For real.

But if dad's dead, then how is the patient the son of the doctor? Nobody could fathom that the doctor was mom. But the times, they are changing.

And I'll gladly take any opportunity to brag about my little-sis, M.D.

As for filmmaking, I can only think that a greater variety of artistic voices will surely benefit the art.

I just feel that having just one actor for a majority of the film was one of the main reasons I did not like the film. It is hard to make a film work with just one actor in an isolated place. I can think of a few films that did good with a similar concept that was Cast Away and 148 Hours. They used flash backs to help the movie. Anyways, it's been awhile since I watched Moon but my impression on watching it the first time was that it would have been better if there were more people in the film. Maybe a buddy with him to talk to would have made it better.

I just feel that having just one actor for a majority of the film was one of the main reasons I did not like the film. It is hard to make a film work with just one actor in an isolated place. I can think of a few films that did good with a similar concept that was Cast Away and 148 Hours. They used flash backs to help the movie. Anyways, it's been awhile since I watched Moon but my impression on watching it the first time was that it would have been better if there were more people in the film. Maybe a buddy with him to talk to would have made it better.

Rockstar, you're my boy. And that makes it my job to tell you that you REALLY missed the point of this movie. Watch it again. Try to put yourself in the head of our lead character. :yes:

Back