• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Good Post-Production Budget?

I recently shot a short documentary (roughly 13 minutes) in Turkey. I'm putting together a rough edit myself and then will be hiring others for the rest of Post.

I have $2,000 to spend on post-production. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good/realistic budget?

Assistant editor -- $200
Narrator -- $200
Colorist -- $400
Sound Designer -- $400
Score -- $400
Graphic Artist for Poster -- $200
Graphics -- $200

Any help would be appreciated.

There's no easy way to answer your question. It depends on what quality you are looking to achieve and what the documentary for; commercial TV, low tier film fest, Youtube, etc. It also obviously depends on who you can get for those rates. For example, with those rates for the sound and music you should get a decent aspiring pro but barring exceptional circumstances, you won't get a fully equipped experienced pro.

I maybe tempted to question the need for an Assistant Editor.

G

Graphic Artist for Poster -- $200

Not really post production, but if you don't have it in your marketing budget, you may need it here ;(

Assistant editor -- $200

If you're editing, don't go to the added expense and get an assistant editor. Do the legwork yourself.

The rest of it is a "how long is a piece of string" question. Part of that is where are you going to get to do those roles for that price? Second, how good a job do you expect them to do?

Back