What attracts an audience to an independent film?

elec_pikachu said:
I'm originally from Memphis, TN, then I moved to Alabama, then I moved to Cincinnati, OH and now I'm in Atlanta, GA.

Hey pikachu, if you are in Atlanta, you should check out our group, the Atlanta Screenwriters Group.

http://www.atlscript.org/

What have you done here that I might have seen?

- Mike.

Hey Spite. I haven't done anything that you have seen as of yet?! hahaha I've only been in ATL for about 2 and 1/2 years. I shot my first movie in college and I wasn't able to do anything for a while because... well no resources, no actors, no crew, no cameras, no nothing. That's why I moved to Atlanta!

I'm currently working on a new website for my feature film which will be finished very soon. I've been working on it since last July! It should be ready to be screened in the next couple of weeks/months. I'm hoping for a screening in July.

Once I get my new website up, I'll put the link out. And when I get the trailer up, I'll do the same.

I've been out to you guys site alot! atlscript.org! I said I was going to try to make it to one of your meetings, but I'm so far behind in editing and such that I can never pull myself away from the computer. I just said I'd wait until I'm finished and then try to go network. Then people will be able to see my stuff and it won't be like I'm blowing hot air when I say something. :)

pika

Ive been reading this thread with with interest, there are some really good points being made. Ive yet to make a feature. but have made a short or two and have seen plenty of trailers.

And tho i hate to admit it, a good looking girl (and guy) in the trailer always gives it extra points. Sex sells, and theres a reason movie stars are pretty to look at. Having a good looking cast is another thing that helps lift your film that little higher above the rest.

'Tis True.

I remember I downloaded a trailer a few months back that was poorly made and really, really bad, but there was one shot of this gorgeous woman in a bikini. I watched the trailer three times just to see her. I've had similar reactons to Hollywood films. For instance, I know Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle is gonna be stinkeriffic, but part of me wants to see it for the sex factor.

I do want to switch the subject just a bit though. I am designing a website for my upcoming film, and I've run into a roadblock that I'd like to get a few opinions on.

First I need to describe my script for you.

It follows the adventures of two guys who try to throw a party on Friday the 13th. They run into bad luck situation after bad luck situation. They get chased by Neo Nazis and Muslim Extremists. Eventually they get back to the party and have a battle to the death with the Neo Nazis and Muslims.

Now, How should I market this?

Should I a) play up it's quirkiness (Neo Nazis, Muslim Extremists, etc.) or b) it's normal comedy aspects (Party comedy, love interests, etc.)?

It's basically why I asked my original question, "What draws an audience to an independent film?" But now I am asking it specifically for my script.

Poke

Re: Story is always the key.

pokewowplayer1 said:
I also think that indies do well if they have something "alternative" or "artistic" to offer.

For me anyway, this is one of the big pulls of indie films - offering something different. Not being afraid to turn the whole Sid Field/Robert McKee 3-act story on its head and do something different. Not different for different's sake, but something fascinating and intelligent. I realize these may not necessarily fit the indie mold to some, but some of my favorite movies over the last year have been Donnie Darko, Adaptation, Scotland, PA, Run, Lola, Run and Living in Oblivion.

Re: Hope?

pokewowplayer1 said:
So is there hope for an indie that's equal parts different and similar?

Well, I'm not saying it has to be something completely different, just offer something different from what you get with your run-of-the-mill movies, if that's what your asking. I think there's a good audience that wants to see something the "majority" doesn't. I mean, even if there's only a couple things that make it stand out - it doesn't have to be a John Waters film or a Peter Greenaway film or a David Lynch film to be different...(my only point here is those films are definitely...different, and when I say there's an audience for films that are "different", they don't need to be that "different")

Does that make any sense?

I try to see as many limited-screening, indie films as I can. Houston has a lot of resources along this line (not as many as Austin, but it's pretty active.) Several of my friends have made short films in the past, using Hi-8, Super-8 and 16mm. The films that I find myself most attracted to are ones in which the filmmaker was often someone with no budget whatsoever, but filmed what amounts to a documentary with a plot. I've seen several films shot about skateboarding, or graffitti crews or urban runaways that were basically shot by a skateboarding high-school kid with a Hi-8 camera, and they were remarkably entertaining. What cemented my attention was the fresh, spontaneous nature of the "plot" and the fact that some 17-year old kids can ad lib like nobody's business if there is an unexpected twist or turn to the shot.

I don't know much about filmmaking, but I do know that "Hollywood" is about to kill the golden goose with their mind-numbing idiocy. Almost all of the Hollywood films worth seeing have one foot in the world of indie film, and many of the top-drawing stars were indie actors five or six years ago. Sometimes being rich and powerful is a bad thing. It allows the established studio movers-and-shakers to turn down good projects because they don't fit the pre-established idea of what a profitable film should be. If one company makes a successful movie about a lawyer, or a crusading environmental activist, next year they ALL will have a similar movie. I hate that.

The best thing about indies is that often the screenwriter is directing and producing, and not someone chosen by a bunch of rich guys from California. I really wish that Hollywood films were a lot more like European films.

I'm a rank amateur at film. But it seems to me I could hardly do worse than what is coming out of the big studios. With such unlimited assets, why are they so unable to produce worthwhile films? It's very annoying.

HoustonWriter said:
I'm a rank amateur at film. But it seems to me I could hardly do worse than what is coming out of the big studios. With such unlimited assets, why are they so unable to produce worthwhile films? It's very annoying.

I think what happens to Big Studios is what happens to many people in other indstry as well (Music, Painting, Photography, etc). I feel like when people are struggling, they have creativity that abounds because they do no thave access to things. Their stories are more fun, better written, etc because they have to worry about what the "Big Boys" think. But when you've made it, everything becomes almost too easy. One of my fav Directors (used to be anyway) when he came out he was so good to me. I loved his style and format. Now his style is gone and his work reminds you of a basic strightforward UCLA Nerd with no creativity. But he stated that his first films were mistakes. And that the style people liked, was just him messing up all the time.

I look at musicians who have been in the industry for years. Their first album, which they tend to write and produce, is good. After that, it's like they just fall off into oblivion. I think sometimes it happens because life is too easy, we as people are made by challenges. Sometimes I think people only have one idea in them. Sometimes I think people loose touch with reality as they stop doing what they did before. And other times I think they get caught up in the bad side of fame (drugs, sex, etc). All of these things destroy creativity. And that's why Hollywood Studios are always looking for the next "Steven Speilburg or Soderburg, or whomever" cause they always loose it.

It ain't so bad!

I wouldn't just discount Hollywood studios as bad. I think indie filmmakers need Holywood in more ways than one. If all Hollywood productions were superb, there would be no need for indies. If people got disinterested in Hollywood films, the industry would crash and indies would suffer just as much as the LA guys.

Basically, as an indie, I have a love hate relationship with Hollywood. I love that Hoolywood exist, because without Hollywood there is no film industry. And I hate Hollywood, because Rob Schneider and Martin Lawrence continue to make movies.

Poke

Indie Movies

Nice question. As indie can mean a lot nowadays, it is a complex answer. I personally watch indie movies because they can demonstrate more exploration than a hollywood movie. The "indie" movies I see are usually at the art houses, so I don't know how indie they are. Their budgets usually range in the hundreds of thousands. When I see no-budgets, I am usually doing it out of loyalty to my kin, or as a favor to a friend. The times that no budgets have worked they have worked for the same reasons as budget films, they had a good story and good acting. They also were interesting because they took risks in presenting the story.
If I see an indie that doesn't take risks, I am disappointed. I can understand the bad acting (it's hard to cast outside the major media centers, esp. with no pay,) I can even forgive a slightly bad story, but if someone doesn't try to impart his unique stamp in directing, I am disappointed. I believe the hollywood machine might take away the director's vision, so keep it while you can.

Taking Chances

So, taking chances is what you want to see, huh? Can you give some examples of that? Personally, I like to see an indie that would work no matter what the budget, big or small.

Poke

traylor park said:
A good story. PERIOD.

That's all you need.

I agree that a good story is important (just like a good song...umh, make that a GREAT song...will end up getting re-recorded by a number of different artists over the years).

But I think it takes more than this to have a successful end-product:

1. Good story.
2. Crappy acting.
3. Sub-standard camera.
4. Terrible Lighting.
5. Sucko audio.
6. Numerous line crosses.
7. Whacko editing job.
etc., etc.

Methinks a good story is extremely important, but one can not overlook the other stuff either!

Come on people!
Can't we all agree that a good story-movie is something with a good storyline and that's technically competent? I mean, even the caveman with the best story in hisher head will still lose the audience if the method of delivery sucks.
How to tell a story depends on the medium: the ability to read well and a good voice if you're reading storybooks out loud, the ability to wield a brush or a pencil well if you're a painter, iconography and editing if you're a filmmaker... this stufff is all technical - it's all technique that can be practiced and perfected.

The story itself, well. that's another matter. How many truly original and fresh stories have you heard lately? In any medium? Technically competent stories there are - lots. But beautiful ones? Moving ones? Ones that made you go "hey, what a great story! that affected me, it got to me, I want to hear/read/watch that again!"

And if you can't tell such a story yourself... isn't it time you practiced more or else found some other medium that suits you better?

i think...

I think its just gotta be a good fuckin movie...and people have to hear about it to watch it. So...greatness and publicity- The 2 key factors.

Back