Script finished, now should I trust people with my script?

Hey guys,

Been writing some shirt film ideas for past month or so, never could get a nice finished script. However, a week ago I've made the first draft and just finished the final draft today.

So, from a newbie perspective, do you guys think I should give him my final draft? He said he wants to try to produce it before summer so we can submit it in festivals, but I'd like to hear from people(YOU) with experience and insight in this field.

Last edited:
I think there are only 15 story themes. So most stories fall into some combination of these themes. What "you" do with it that's important. If you are really worried register it with the Writer Guild.

I don't think much script stealing is going on when you let someone read your script but your story could have an influence on others.

Example: I long time ago I wrote a song titled "Loving You and Remembering" and sent it into a publisher in Nashville. Later that year that same publisher had a country hit with the title "I Don't Remember Loving You". Totally different song but yet I had to wonder if I had an influence on one of their house writers.

Fresh ideas are hard to find. There's nothing wrong with being careful with your creation. But keep in mind you will have to expose it to the world if moving forward is what you want from your writing career.

Example: I long time ago I wrote a song titled "Loving You and Remembering" and sent it into a publisher in Nashville. Later that year that same publisher had a country hit with the title "I Don't Remember Loving You". Totally different song but yet I had to wonder if I had an influence on one of their house writers.

You probably did! And that's kinda cool!

I have a similar (MUCH lower profile) story. I recorded an ambient/drone guitar based piece called "Fever Dreams", and sent it out to a bunch of labels and similar artists (as well as self-releasing and selling at shows). One of whom was Steve Roach, one of my major influences. A couple years later, he put out a couple albums with the same title. Completely different (he uses much more percussion as an ambient artist than I ever did, and my work was more a narrative piece, albeit abstract), but I couldn't help feeling that I shared ideas with someone who had inspired me. Sure, part of me wishes he had said "hey, record your album a little better and I'll release it for you", and I wish half the people who listened to his release listened to mine too, but there's something to be said for someone taking an idea you had and taking it to a different place. It makes it sort of like an artistic conversation.

Back