Faking Hits and Impacts

Hey i'm filming a zombie miniseries and was wondering if you guys know a good technique to fake impacts such as a baseball swing or crowbar hit, cause those two elements are essential in a good zombie flick.

anyway, i know good sound sells the effect, but what can I do to really make it look real? thanks

One thing you can do is use a longer lens like a 135mm, or get farther away and zoom in will help , it will compress the perspective and make things seem closer to each other than they are for one thing. Practice, practice, practice is the other thing you can do

You could have the actor wired from behind and give him a timely yank when he's supposed to be hit. Try not to yank too hard, lest you hurt the poor guy. A strap around the chest under the clothes, a wire out the back. A mat on the floor to land on, etc.

I bought this book when I was learning how to set up fighting scenes. It's called Master Shots: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie. It helped a lot!!

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Shots-...13/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1306101656&sr=8-26

Wow that looks like a great book, I ordered it from walmart and it should be here in a few days, thanks!

One thing you can do is use a longer lens like a 135mm, or get farther away and zoom in will help , it will compress the perspective and make things seem closer to each other than they are for one thing. Practice, practice, practice is the other thing you can do

Hmm, never thought of that but I can see it working. Only problem is I don't have a 135mm and don't have the money for a telephoto right now. would a 55mm work? better than nothing eh?

You could have the actor wired from behind and give him a timely yank when he's supposed to be hit. Try not to yank too hard, lest you hurt the poor guy. A strap around the chest under the clothes, a wire out the back. A mat on the floor to land on, etc.

Thanks for your answer, that answers 50% of the question, but what about the bat actually hitting the actor? how do I show that realistically without actually hitting them? any ideas besides what has already been suggested? thanks.

Back