• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Deathworld: Videos of first cycle

This month has been very busy, with the initial construction of the job frontend stuff designed to help us survive long enough to fund the movie. We've made serious progress and gained a lot of experience with the Red and other equipment, such as the Kessler crane systems.

We've got about 30 videos coming out of this cycle, plus a website and mobile app, but I'll just post a few at a time here, for those that have been waiting for an update.

We've been working literally around the clock here, so my apologies to those I haven't gotten back to yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9RcwSAf2rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXEf5JfDth0&feature=channel_video_title

Right now it's the first 5 living on site. Myself, Carl DeFilippo, Justin Warren, Graham Cantin, and Rob Ellis. We're fully settled in and have been working nonstop for about 3 weeks now.

The Epic takes a little getting used to, and we're just now getting to the point where we understand the camera's limitations. Next cycle I think we can really start producing some great quality stuff.

These videos are not finals, just the ones that were in good enough shape to show people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGmUWCBbleM&feature=relmfu

Waiting room

For those waiting for an update on the house and it's citizens, here's what's up today. We've been working steady for about 40 days, and have turned in the 120k job proposal 2 days ago. Since then, it's been pure silence. We have no idea what the silence means, or who sent it, but we're pretty sure that it's stunned silence of either the positive or negative variety.

Due to a variety of people not coming through with expected money,mainly my roommates boss (who lightened our income by 16k via some personal errors), we're in rough shape today. We've just turned off the heat, and the cable has gone out. We'll be evicted tomorrow if we don't hear back about the contract. We have arranged to borrow the money to continue as long as the contract goes through, but with several other leads gone, it's make or break at this point.

We feel like we turned in the best proposal we could, and must have done 6-8x the work requested to prove we could handle the job, so we hope it will turn out well.

The world of filmmaking and content production is a strange one when it comes to asking for money. We gave them about 23 finished videos, and then went and had one appraised at about 10k. We're asking 9k a month to produce 24 videos. It seems if this was any other job, doing a dozen times the expected work would get you hired right away. With content though, we still have to worry. It's value is so infinitely flexible in the minds of others.

So it's been 2 hellish days of watching shop at home (our only remaining channel) and speculating about the meaning of the long silence. Theories range from "they must be interested if they're looking at it for days" to "they made their descision not to work with us 5 minutes after seeing it, and are not anxious to tell us all we're becoming homeless at christmas". Both seem plausible.

The air is tense here, and within a few days, we'll find out whether we're financially stable, or financially ruined. Anyone care to speculate wildly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZsSXSU4JY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwyWyVt-iU

Last edited:
Fingers crossed! Sorry to hear about your roommate's boss; that's just terrible. That would have at least made the waiting a little easier. Hopefully you hear back soon. Best wishes and hope the holidays are good for you guys!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. We are all hoping this works out ok.

feedback on the Lensapedia.com site would be welcome as well, for those of you interested in lens and camera info.

What we'd really like to know about that site, is how much more content viewers would like to see on the site before they'd consider bookmarking. It's very much incomplete right now, but does serve as a 300+ page database of common lenses already.

Just as a disclaimer, until they give us the green light, we are not officially representing Borrowlenses yet, so this is purely for testing and focus group purposes.

The videos look really good to me. I think you guys r doing a fine job over there.

Hope the response is a positive one. Goodluck! And let us know what they say.
Really hope u get it!

Unbelievable house. First thing I would do is make a movie in that house. Plan a murder. Then plan another one.
Good luck guys.

Hey, I just read the "Waiting room."

All I can say is that your effort Nate is fantastic. The difference with most things is that thinnest of lines. If we can cross it, then everything is okay. I hope you guys cross it and look back over this time over a cold beer next to a big warm fire.

Best of luck.
Aveek

Wow I saw the video of the house looks really cool. Hope you don't get evicted. Hope you get your jobs and funding soon.

I see the house could be huge production values for a film. Maybe you guys should think about filming something with it. I can think of the shoot out in Beverly Hills Cop 2 as an idea to make something similar for action. Maybe a drug lord lives in Mansion and a shoot out happens. You could do the reality doc type thing like real world too. Ha...

Back