acting tips for beginners?

I need some advice on how to start learning to become an actor on my own before trying out and embarrass myself :huh:

Some actors just start acting, others take classes, others read books, etc.

Usually the ones who just start acting don't ask the question you asked, they just do it. So I am going to assume that would not work for you. I would suggest you look for some local classes.

one of the first things they do in an acting class is have you perform something embarrassing.
Because you can't be embarrassed and act at the same time!! unless youre supposed to be acting embarrassed lol. Otherwise GET OVER IT!

one of the first things they do in an acting class is have you perform something embarrassing.
Because you can't be embarrassed and act at the same time!! unless youre supposed to be acting embarrassed lol. Otherwise GET OVER IT!

it's not that i'm too scared to to be embarrassed, it's just that i'm socially awkward and i can't be myself around new people, they call that introversion or something, everytime i meet new people i don't feel comfortable at all being myself, but it gets better when i get to know them.

I've never taken an acting class and I have three things on Netflix (nice plug) Happy Hunting (horror directed/written by Mel Gibson's son) The UnMiracle (Christian Movie Kevin Sorbo/Stephen Baldwin) and American Vandal.

I just made one minute videos doing different types of scenes. You need a cell phone and a partner that's it.

There are different ways of acting. There is stage play that you will find in the Woody Allen movies. Overacting that you can find in American Comedy and improvisation. What do you want your acting to be?

There are different ways of acting. There is stage play that you will find in the Woody Allen movies. Overacting that you can find in American Comedy and improvisation. What do you want your acting to be?
This is an unknown (to me) and interesting perspective of learning
acting. Here in the States learning acting isn't broken down that way.

Here a student is taught acting, not theater acting or overacting for
comedies. Is this common in Nederland? Does an acting student
where you live choose what kind of acting they want to learn?

This is an unknown (to me) and interesting perspective of learning
acting. Here in the States learning acting isn't broken down that way.

Here a student is taught acting, not theater acting or overacting for
comedies. Is this common in Nederland? Does an acting student
where you live choose what kind of acting they want to learn?

Wel...I'm breaking it up not using the right terminology. But to answer your question Yes. There are many options you can choose from in the acting school in Maastricht. A friend of mine that teaches there even told me that there is a difference between Countries. Why I ask't the question is because i want to know what B4H is looking for in his movies.

Last edited:

I've never heard about this before, It will take me a while to decide, thanks for letting me know :thumbsup:

A few acting classes should be taken by almost everyone - yes, I mean both production and post crews as well as actors - involved in film and video. My specialty is audio post, but I went to a few acting seminars to improve my skills, most especially Foley, but I found it also helped my dialog editing as well.

You may want to attend an acting school, but interacting (pun semi-unintended) with other actors is most definitely a plus for any performer.

When I work with inexperienced actors, I teach them "The Blink". If they're facing one direction and then turn to the other and would look into the camera, they blink just before they make eye contact with it. Sounds corny, but it works.

If you are able to and if you get in go to one of the top schools worldwide:

London: Guildhall, LAMDA, RADA, Central, etc.
America: Julliard, NYU Tisch, Yale, etc.

If you can't afford those, there are good acting studios as well that you can go to:
William Esper Studio (NYC) (wrote 2 great books as well)
Stella Adler Studio
Terry Knickerbocker Studio

William Esper and Terry Knickerbocker trained Sam Rockwell among many others. The Esper Studio has a really good reputation just overall. Another really significant graduate of the Esper Studio (under David Newer) is John Leguizamo.

They teach the Meisner Technique. The big schools I think teach a mix of various techniques.

However, in the end, you should know that even if you go to a top school it can always happen that you don't get selected at the showcase, you're in debt and will have to hustle just like everybody else. In the end people care the most about your experience rather than your training. Training helps get your foot in the door though.

If you plan on studying in London, I think it is wiser to stay in London since the schools are such household names there. If you think you'll study there and go back to let's say New York.. you will still stand out but I know many actors who even went to Julliard or one of the big schools in London and are now struggling to get representation just like everybody else. BUT you will stand out for that for sure.

If you can afford it, totally worth it.

I definitely say get training somewhere, do improv (UCB, The Pit, etc. in New York) and get your feet wet. Copy and imitate, listen to interviews, read books and work on your voice, diction and body. Relaxation is key.

Work with other actors who trained / have a great process and learn from them. How do you find these people? I do not know really. Book work. But that's the conundrum. You gotta have worked to book work, etc. etc.

So submit submit submit.

That being said.. there are PLENTY of actors who NEVER EVER trained and are really good. It can be and most likely is a mix of things: work ethic, talent, openness to learning, LUCK (= where preparation meets opportunity) and learning by doing. Watching others work.

"Good Artists copy. Great artists steal." - Picasso
"There is nothing new under the sun." from the Book of Ecclesiastes
=== everything is a remix. Don't feel bad about about seeing something and getting inspired by it and taking elements of it. Everybody does it.

If you're in the US, sign up for Backstage, ActorsAccess and CastingNetworks. Backstage is where a lot of stuff is casting all the time, especially smaller projects.

ActorsAccess is the place where many many big legit projects are cast as well as other smaller projects. YOU as the actor will only see the breakdowns for the smaller stuff, maybe occasionally a public breakdown for a very specific project. The agents and managers have access to the BIG LEGIT stuff.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

EDIT:
This may help https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/25-best-drama-schools-895029

Last edited:
thanks

If you are able to and if you get in go to one of the top schools worldwide:

EDIT:
This may help https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/25-best-drama-schools-895029

this is some really valuable information, thanks a lot.
i'm really wondering if i should try for smaller schools first, then make my way up, because i have zero confidence if i could make it, but i'm not sure how does it happen, should i ask to be in a short film even though i never acted before?

Back