Mixing 4k with 1080p in a narrative film

I have a Sony a6500 (4k) and a Sony a7s (1080). I will be shooting a feature film with the a6500 as the main cam, and A7s as the B-cam. I am very adamant about using two cameras - mostly for dialogue scenes to have natural flow (I realize this will require another mic or at least a talented boom guy). I wanted to see if anybody has any tricks or tips on how to do this properly without noticing the difference in resolution/detail. My kneejerk idea is to keep the A7s very tight on the subject with very shallow DOF to emphasize the foreground sharpness. The a6500 seems like it would be better for the master shot or wide shots, as it can pick up greater detail from further away. This may just be totally assumption, but I'd like to know your thoughts. Has anyone ventured into the realm of 4k/1080 mixing before? If so, can you help?

2K. I know a lot of VOD services require 4k, but for now our trajectory is just toward festivals (standard theater screen); we just won a festival at 1080p which held up surprisingly well on a massive screen.

At 2k I wouldn't worry. There's not a lot of little difference between 1080p and 2k. You need to reframe a little and then it's pretty much a process of getting your finisher to match the shots.

I know nothing about the a6500. You might find you'll get a better quality image from the a7s. Test both cameras and then make your decision to which cameras take which shots, instead of assuming 4k has the better picture.

I agree - shoot a test scene with the two cameras, then edit it together to see if it cuts together well. I don't see the need to shoot above 2K, except for certain FX or composite shots, which can be down-converted. Of course, if your target venues are IMAX screens, then by all means, ditch the A7s and shoot 4K. Good luck rendering out that monstrosity. :lol:

Can you not shoot 1080p on the a6500 and then upscale the whole thing in the online?

Best thing to do is test. Then you know for sure what will work and what won't.

Back