Filming on a bus.

Hi, I have a short scene which takes place on a bus. I was wondering if anyone knows whether I need permission from the bus company to do this or whether I will be able to get away without.

of course you need permission, the question is, how long will it take to shoot the scene, can you do it just guerilla style? or do you need a little longer? i am sure they will never ever give you the permission to shoot on a regular public bus, maybe they give you the permission to shoot in a bus depot, but that would mean that you have to wrap the whole bus in green to do it as a vfx shot, i guess thats not what you want.
but why dont you ask one of these sightseeing bus guys (and maybe tip him accordingly ;) they are privat companies so i guess that might do the trick.

Depends completely on the scene and your budget. The feature I was involved with hired an old coach.

http://i.imgur.com/Sw6tQoK.png

Obviously if it's meant to be a specific type of bus, then it wouldnt match up right.

If you've not got the budget to hire and it's not a huge dialogue heavy scene, just a few shots, then you should be able to get away with it guerrilla style. Just find a regular service at a non peak time.

greenscreen looks like crap was not what i wanted to say, coz that is simply not true, if it looks crap it is just a lack of skills, but for an indie production it is too much of a hazzle. i guess it is way cheaper to "hire" a bus for 200 quid than doing all that greenscreen headache.

Don't ask. Shoot on the bus with a smallish camera, maybe popped out of a hole in a backpack. Have the actors mic'd before boarding. Practice the dialogue before boarding. Or do voiceover later. I've shot my feature film on buses and light rail, both in Seattle and Portland.

Good luck.

Shooting tip: Go onto a bus and listen to the engine noise. IT'S LOUD. You will note that the engine is constantly changing gears/speeding up/slowing down/running at different engine RPMS. It rarely sounds the same for more than a few seconds. If you are shooting a master shot (one without any edits), the changing engine sounds will not be a problem. BUT, if you need to cut different angles together, I guarantee that you will be able to "hear" each edit as you cut from one shot to another. Unless you have a really good sound editor, stick with green screen with the bus not running...

Back