Movies that made you cry

The scene in The Abyss when Ed Harris' character has to let his wife (played by Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) drown. OMFG, Cameron kills me with that one every time.

I physiologically do not contain the ability to cry (or feel emotion), I'm a man you see.

I can't actually remember a time I cried from a movie but some scenes in Enemy at the Gate slice through my heartstrings.

EDIT: The end of the futurama episode "Jurassic Bark". It nearly made me break down in soggy mess. Just remembered.

Last edited:
Ed Wood - the bit when Bella Lugosi dies.
I didn't cry exactly, but it moved me. In the previous scene Lugosi (Martin Landau) made a really powerful speech. It had real resonance, and sadness. He's then met with great aplause and praise. It was like his final performance. He went out on a high after the last years of his life struggling.

The Monster Squad -- u know? the scene when Frankenstein's monster goes into the abyss.
The Boy Who Could Fly
Fluke
An Officer and a Gentleman -- classic.

Ya know what I hate about Trek II? I cried when
Spok died, but then it was just another episodic
ploy and he didn't really die. I felt cheated. I let
my emotions go but for no reason at all. Now that
scene actually pisses me off.

The movies that make me cry:

West Side Story
E.T. - when the alien "dies" and the little girl
cries that kills me. I get choked up thinking
about that scene.
Love, Actually
A Little Romance
White Christmas
Toy Story 2 - that sequence about the girl growing
up and giving away her toy....

The miserables with Gerard Depardieu in the final scene
The Fountain
The Notebook
A Beautiful Mind
Dogville
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso
Aberdeen
Hilary and Jackie
Mar Adentro
Proof

and many many other that I can't remind right now...

The last movie I can remember getting emotional in was Seven Pounds I think ... that movie is just so sad. I remember The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke just being really depressing.

E.T.
Love, Actually

White Christmas

I gotta agree with these. Especially that part in White Christmas when Bing goes on the tv show and they have to keep Gen. Waverly from watching. "what do you do with a general/ when he stops being a general?"
And then when he walks out to the whole room of soldiers. It always gets me.

I'd also have to add The Notebook. Only I cried a lot more reading it than watching it.

And if we are talking about Star Trek making us cry. I'd have to go with the Next Gen. episode called 'The Inner Light.' When his wife dies I just can't hold it together. Not only was it a tearjerker, but that scene toward the end where Picard wakes up and with only a couple words over what is maybe 2 minutes, he totally captivates all attention and brings you through his journey back into the 'real' world. Some of the best acting I've seen.

when i was a little tyke i would cry at the end of 'land before time'. EVERY time. partially because it was sad, partially because it was over :D

now a days, the only film I can remember that ever made me cry was the pursuit of happyness. which isnt even one of my favorites.

i almost cried during a clockwork orange because it was the most beautiful piece of film i have ever seen

I don't much in movies, but Return Of The King did it for me. I think the big part was it happened in the theatre, where the audience has spent 3 movies watching these characters. I didn't get the same effect when watching them all at once on DVD, probably because the emotional investment isn't quite the same.

Back