• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Draft or Celtix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one's pretty self explanatory. My former screenwriting platform, Adobe Story, is shutting down, so now I need another platform. The two I am considering is FD or Celtix, and I would like the opinion of the community to which one is more worth the time and money. Thanks!

Celtx is by no way an industry standard. And now that it's web based, it's even worse. Fade In is really nice, and it's been used to write the new Star Wars movies. At $50, it's cheap too, with free updates. Final Draft is just so clunky

I love Final Draft, but that could be because I'm used to it.

I've been using Celtx a lot lately because a guy who hired me uses it, so I'm getting comfortable with it. It's not terrible, but for my own projects, I'll definitely go back to FD.

I use Final Draft.
Got it during some Halloween Sale.
Never used Celtx, so I can't compare.

What Mara points is important to remember:
- sometimes you like something because you are used to it
- sometimes you need to use something else when you work with someone using the other software

If I were you I'd try both to see what you like or don't like.

For clarity:

Celtx allows you to write in industry standard. It allows you to export .pdf so
it IS industry standard. All the screenwriting softwares are tools. They all
allow a writer to do the job.

As you can see writers have their preferences and can be passionate about
them. zkhiggin1, since Celtx is free you should try it for a while. See if it
meets your needs.

This is ridiculous! Whenever I say something, this user, directorik, immediately answers like he has a complex with me with capital letters and all that! That is sad for him, but it is funny too.

I'd recommend research how well Final Draft sucks up the data from a PDF i.e Celtx script / analyses it into it's format. You could always start with Celtx and then jump into Final Draft if you're writing a lot / finish a script. I use Celtx old version on Desktop to outline with title cards. And then I use Final Draft to do the script.

The colour coded index card option on Celtx is pretty great for outlining / mapping events for specific characters, as it's super easy to keep track of a certain character / sub-plot by colour-at-a-glance.

This is ridiculous! Whenever I say something, this user, directorik, immediately answers like he has a complex with me with capital letters and all that! That is sad for him, but it is funny too.

You are paranoid.

That's funny, I don't understand what is wrong with the managers of that forum! Directoric is ironic at every of his responds to me! If you can't understand that, then I'm just sorry for you. If Directorik is in your "team" and you try to "protect" him, then I'm also sorry for you.

That's a very cheap behaviour from indietalk and mlesemann. I'm very sorry for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back