Question for 1st time directors, or Directors remembering their first film

Wrote a Screenplay, which has been read by 2 Production Companies...The screenplay is the first Project I have worked on, although I have several others I want to develop over the next few years....Both Production Companies have contacted me this morning, saying they like the Screenplay, but would struggle to find Investors due to my lack of Experience (or none) as a Director (I am wanting to direct the Film)...I completely understand this, but am determined to proceed as Director....has anyone experienced this, but went on to Direct their own film....Or can give some advice on what you would do......I am enrolling in a Film making course at end of January...although its a short intense course, is a start

thanks

The best thing to do is to gain experience. A course can be helpful, but like any profession it won't equate to real world success (I know terrible directors who theoretically were good and passed their film courses with top grades). Lots of people do business management courses, get good grades, but have no idea how to run a business.

If you can't convince them that you're going to competently direct the film, you need to prove to them that you are. And you need experience for that. Produce a number of low budget productions - show them what you can do with minimal resources, so they know that you'll be damn good with more.

Of course that can be slow progress. So you should also volunteer on a heap of sets, so you have an idea of how sets work. Maybe you'll impress the right people (hell, I'm now directing the guy who I was making coffee for just 6 months ago) who have the right connections. Either way you'll have valuable on set experience.

Ask them if they'd be able to find finance without you attached as a director. If not, you need to consider whether they may be just giving you a soft landing with your rejection.

The weaker the director, the stronger the rest of the crew needs to be in order for a movie to be a success. If you want an example, get your hands on a TV series called Project Greenlight. I think it's still available on Amazon. It's not exactly real but it may give you a perspective of what can happen with directors with limited experience.

There are stories of writers turn directors who used a strong screenplay as their ticket to directing, though most of those stories were no budget features that didn't require much in the way of finance to get in the way (Eg Chris Nolan with Following). Getting a success under your belt is going to do more for you as a director than a strong script ever will.

"I've got an amazing trip around the world for you. Every detail has been thought of. Everything arranged and every hotel along the way has been booked. Although I've never flown before, I'd like to be your pilot..."

Would you get on the plane?

Investors want to get their money back somehow.
Or at least not throw it away.

So you need to have experience to give them the feeling they are investing instead of donating.
Or let someone else direct and ask to be an assistant, so you get to know people on set and see how everything works. That way it might be easier to assemble a team to get your own experience.
Plus you would have a script that has been filmed as well. (IF there are investors.)

Its a soft rejection. Ignore everything after they said no. Get used to it.

Problems:
You have no money
You have no experience
You have nobody attached (big named actor, experienced directory, etc. )

Fix one ore more of the above problems and you might be able to make a movie.

BTW, the first movie I directed had lego figures as actors and was shot on a webcam in 2000.
Needed no budget and investors.
And I went to artschool to study audiovisual design, so I learnt to direct, shoot and edit in a relative safe environment before anyone gave my money to make anything.

So my situation back then is not the same as yours now.

great advice people, really appreciate it....Understand completely, experience is always key...asking to be an Assistant to a director maybe an option...I'm already talking to several, of the below

Well Known Actor
Several Cameo's from Well Known figures
Respected Line Producer
Experienced DOP

Im hoping that by potentially attaching the above to the Project, it might help my case...Either way, im ensuring when it comes to meeting with Investors, im as prepared as possible

assisting is a great idea.

that was how I got hooked. (full disclosure, Im only a hobbyist, and have no plans to change that) I "hired" a director and just did what he asked. I was more a partner in pre-production but on the day, I was not much more than a PA, and it was glorious!

assisting is a great idea.

that was how I got hooked. (full disclosure, Im only a hobbyist, and have no plans to change that) I "hired" a director and just did what he asked. I was more a partner in pre-production but on the day, I was not much more than a PA, and it was glorious!

after your Project where you hired a Director, did you then Direct the next Project???

not like that for me, this is just my hobby. So I direct when I want to direct.. which is most of the time because I'm also DP, producer, Editor, key grip etc.. in other words Im a do it all one man band kinda thing..

My advice would be to make a short film first as a proof of concept. People will be quick to want your idea, but not you. If you want them to want you, you really do have to show them some something visual so they'll know how you plan to make your concept come to life.

Back