2.5" HDD Brands for Ninja2

Although I was all prepped to shoot with a T2i, a friend came out of my past, and offered up his 5Dmk3 ... I obviously jumped at it. Since we're going to shoot some green screen, I'm renting a Ninja2 external recorder, so I can grab everything at 4:2:2.

I'd need to buy a couple 2.5" hard drives for the Ninja. I'm not getting SSD simply due to the price. But, I'm wondering which brand of drive (from the certified list) has the better reputation. I've never had much luck in buying drives, so I certainly would appreciate some help.

Hitachi Travel Star
Samsung Spinpoint
Seagate Momentus & Momentus XT
Transcend 320 Series
Toshiba
Western Digital Scorpio Black

Thanks,

Thomas

Although I was all prepped to shoot with a T2i, a friend came out of my past, and offered up his 5Dmk3 ... I obviously jumped at it. Since we're going to shoot some green screen, I'm renting a Ninja2 external recorder, so I can grab everything at 4:2:2.

I'd need to buy a couple 2.5" hard drives for the Ninja. I'm not getting SSD simply due to the price. But, I'm wondering which brand of drive (from the certified list) has the better reputation. I've never had much luck in buying drives, so I certainly would appreciate some help.

Hitachi Travel Star
Samsung Spinpoint
Seagate Momentus & Momentus XT
Transcend 320 Series
Toshiba
Western Digital Scorpio Black

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi Thomas - the idea of carrying a spinning HDD into the field scares the heck out of me. Like you, my luck with HDs has been terrible. And SSDs cost less than SD cards these days - as of this post, you can get a Sandisk 64GB SSD for $59.99 or a 120GB Sandisk Extreme for $99.84.

I know that's a lot more $/GB than a $74 750GB Western Dig Scorpio Black, but, if you ever drop the Ninja on set, having your precious footage on a chip (instead of a spinning disk) might be well worth the extra money.

Good luck on your shoot!

Bill

Last edited:
Back