Question about editing RAW footage.

This is my first time editing RAW footage for a short film, and my computer cannot read the footage, nor can Premiere Pro, import it.

Basically when I put the camera card, into the computer, and open the file, the file is empty. But the card is full. The computer says that the card has 14.6 GB, being used on it. But when I open the file, it's empty. But I know that all the footage is there, since the computer says that 14.6 GB of the card is full.

So is there a way I can get my computer to locate the footage, and be able to acknowledge that it's there, and is there something I can do to get Premiere Pro to read it?

Are you sure you are opening up the right folder where the actual video footage is in? The camera will create a few folders. It's a matter of looking in the right folder. Do you know if the files are stored as .mov, .mpg, or .avi files? You can have you computer search the SD Card, if that's what you have.

'not enough data to compute'

1) What RAW from what camera? (File type?)
2) you open the file: where (windows explorer, ppro, whatever program)?
3) Are you actually opening the file or are you opening the folder?

Why don't you download bandicam and screenrecord what you do and post it on YouTube?
That way you will make more sense.

Okay thanks. I actually I figured it out. My DP was shooting RAW on a camera that does not do RAW, but can do RAW with magic lantern. After we were done we plugged the camera into a computer with a USB cable, and tried send the files into the computer via the USB cable.

But the RAW footage, would not send through the cable. The computer was reading the card as full, but the camera, could not send the footage if it's RAW, created by magic lantern.

So we took the card out of the camera, and put it in the computer directly, and now all the footage is there, and Premiere Pro will take it.

So I guess that was the problem. Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.

Okay thanks. I actually I figured it out. My DP was shooting RAW on a camera that does not do RAW, but can do RAW with magic lantern.

'a camera'?
How hard is it to say you shot RAW on a Canon DSLR using Magic Lantern?

Not only was your question incomplete.
You LIED to us:
you said the card was in the computer, but it was not. It was in thew camera.

Basically when I put the camera card, into the computer, and open the file, the file is empty. But the card is full. The computer says that the card has 14.6 GB, being used on it. But when I open the file, it's empty. But I know that all the footage is there, since the computer says that 14.6 GB of the card is full.

After we were done we plugged the camera into a computer with a USB cable, and tried send the files into the computer via the USB cable.

Basicly, it is our luck you figured it out, because you pointed us into the wrong direction anyway.

Every suggestion we would give would be based on lies and absent info AGAIN.

IT does not forget weeks of discussion why your colorist could not open your edit after you send the xml without the footage. (A fact you didn't mention.)
BTW, was that the colorist you hired? And that person could not tell you why it couldn't open your project?
If that is the case you've been conned and robbed by another idiot who was just 1 braincell smarter.

You'll never learn.
Bye.

I thoought that the computer was reading the card that way too, but it turns out it was just the camera. I didn't mean to imply it as a lie, it was my misunderstanding. My fault.

As for the colorist way back, I couldn't open the XML either, so how was I suppose to know that there was not footage in it, when I couldn't even open it to tell? As for the camera, not being able to transport RAW through a USB, I figured that out and not him.

I thoought that the computer was reading the card that way too, but it turns out it was just the camera. I didn't mean to imply it as a lie, it was my misunderstanding. My fault.

As for the colorist way back, I couldn't open the XML either, so how was I suppose to know that there was not footage in it, when I couldn't even open it to tell? As for the camera, not being able to transport RAW through a USB, I figured that out and not him.

It was not miscommunication: it is your inability to precisely specify what you do. You ALWAYS skip at least HALF of the details. Which is weird, because the details are all you are asking about.
You did not put the card into the computer. You connected the camera with the card to the computer.
Your inability to even understand that these details are important for a tech problem to be solved is unbelievable.
Every cable, every connection, every device, every piece of software in the chain matters.

About the XML:
that was quite stupid: you expected a few GB of data to be present in a kB sized file.*
You did not answer the question: your colorist couldn't open it and couldn't tell you why?
It means you've been fooled by a p[retender, because anyone with 5 minutes of experience could tell you: "you need to send me a harddrive with all the footage together with the XML. Or you send the footage first and email the XML later."

*)
You have no clou about how computers work.
You didn't think: 'what is the file size?'

That's true, I do not have many clues about how computers, or all these electronic connections work. I am learning as I go.

Sorry for not specifying all the details. I will try to give a much more elaborate explanation if I ask for help again.

Back