Premiere Pro is stretching the footage for some reason.

For film school, we are suppose to take scenes from a movie we like and emulate the cinematography style. The movie I want to pick is High and Low. I took a blu ray copy of the movie, put it on my computer and brought it into Premiere Pro. However, when Premiere Pro accepts the movie, the video is stretched out. Basically it has that look a lot of TVs do when they stretch a 4:3 movie. However, this blu ray copy of the movie is in 2.35:1 and it still stretches it out from side to side, when putting it in Premiere Pro.

Does anyone know how to fix this in Premiere Pro. My sequence setting is 1080p at 24p, trying to match the movie. I asked my teacher at school as well as the classmates but they cannot figure out what the problem might be. Does anyone know?

Okay thanks. The pixel settings are at 1.0, and the only one lower than that is 0.9091. But that doesn't make hardly any difference, and it's still stretched. I tried all of the other pixel aspect ratio settings, and it looks the same in all of them pretty much. The size of the movie changes, but the actual image that is stretched.

By dimensions do you mean the frame height and frame width? The width is 1280, and the height is 544, if that's what you mean.

I set the width and height to that in the sequence setting in Premiere Pro, but PP still stretches the footage.

You are doing something wrong.
You didn't stretch it yourself in the Effects Properties (you know, where you can keyframe and move a file).

Why not create a normal 720p sequence and accept yiou'll have a letter box?
Than reimport the videofile.

If you're too caught up in worrying about why the footage is stretched, then just manually scale the width/height in the effects settings. Premiere has a weird way of interpreting non-native ratios.

From a quick research 1280.544 is 2.35:1

You are doing something wrong.
You didn't stretch it yourself in the Effects Properties (you know, where you can keyframe and move a file).

Why not create a normal 720p sequence and accept yiou'll have a letter box?
Than reimport the videofile.

Okay thanks, but I tried this as well, and it's still stretched out within the letter box. As for scaling back in, I can get the video scaled back in the frame.

But the movie is still stretched in the sense that the actors' heads are stretched out and warped. So no matter much I use the 'scale' effect, the warping and stretching is still there. Is there a way to collapse the stretching?

And yes 1280 x 544 is 2.35:1. But when I import the movie, it stretched beyond 2.35:1, and looks more like 2.55:1 or something maybe around there. This is causing the picture to stretch and the actors look stretched out and wide.

Last edited:
For film school, we are suppose to take scenes from a movie we like and emulate the cinematography style.

You can't see the forest for the tress again. Just watch the DVD and study the cinematography. No need to pop it in APP. If there is a need, well deal with it stretched and move on. Forest, trees.

Well the teacher wanted us to have all the movie clips in separate files for his own organizing, instead of having to scroll through the whole movie for each of them, he said.

Last edited:
Is there a way to collapse the stretching?

untitled.jpg

You see that little thing right there? Uncheck it.

Back