Be CAREFUL

BOSTON — The president of Emerson College says a film student fell to his death while working on a school project on an apartment building's rooftop.

The Boston Globe reports that college President Jackie Liebergott sent an email to students telling them that 21-year-old Justin Amorratanasuchad died from injuries he sustained in Sunday morning's fall.

Police pronounced Amorratanasuchad dead at the scene. They say the death appears to be accidental.

A resident who lives in the South End building says access to the roof from which Amorratanasuchad fell is supposed to be limited, but he noticed that the lock had been taped over so the door remained open.

I always remember Jim Morrison's short film where he's reading poetry walking along the edge of a building. The guy was suicidal and reckless.

Don't know the details of this new kid.

Perhaps the latest generation is getting numb to risks with all the "extreme" nonsense and Jackassism floating around.

The scene in The Other Guys where The Rock and Sam Jackson leap to their death also comes to mind.

Respect the drop. Or else wind up another broken moron. The world won't care all that much.

I almost posted this when I saw it this morning. Poor kid. It's really tragic.

I doubt we'll ever know the full story, though.

He does have a vimeo page, and ironically one of his videos is about a dude rock-climbing.

I went to that school when I was a youngin'. It's right in the heart of the city mostly in a bunch of 4 story brownstones. Nothing but concrete and stairs on both sides. What a tragic story.

So after reading that bit if news, what did I decide to do? Climb up a ladder onto the garage roof to get some footage of the HUGE full moon on the horizon. Didn't bring my tripod, couldn't zoom in enough and then rolled the dice getting back down onto the ladder. Carefully, slowly made it onto the ground safely, but realized after the fact it wasn't such a good idea. Besides, the neighbors were outside smoking on their balcony and my camera was pointed in their general direction so it was kind of awkward.

I'm off to bed before I do something else that's stupid. G'night.

I live in Boston and that was a really sad story...just today another kid fell through a glass sunroof while hanging out on top of a building watching the Boston Marathon..he fell 5 stories through the middle of the building and lived, only because he hit every banister inside the building on the way down...filmmaking aside, its sad that every year at least one college kid falls off a rooftop or porch here in Boston and dies from the injuries.

Another safety aspect to keep in mind is the use of fake firearms..a couple of years ago here in Boston a group of students were on a rooftop with fake guns and someone called the Boston Police. They're lucky they didn't get shot.

Back