• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Origin and Ends

I had troubles watching it...it was a bit slow. Re-running each scene from a second camera position would allow you to cut between them and chop out time. I didn't get past the scene talking in the living room 1/3 of the way through it (sorry, it really didn't hold my attention at all).

The camera angles were fine, during the door knocking could have had the audio of the second knock cut over the top of the view of dude in bed, then cut to the last knock and umbrella guy walking away. Tighten up your editing, you stand to lose audience if you can't hold their attention.

You could've taken out the large gaps in the living room dialog with a second take from a different angle to shorten the pauses in the dialog. You would then have had footage to cut between the jump cuts you used instead (cutting from one shot to a tigher shot from the same camera position is considered a jump cut)...this would make the cut feel more natural.

Remember that we hear language faster than we speak it...so real conversation will always be faster than movie dialog...movie dialog at real pacing tends to come off as waaay too slow. What I saw from the other aspects of the piece weren't bad though for the experience level I sensed from it.

I was thinking the same thing. My mind wandered at least half a dozen times where I got completely lost in what was happening, and then I just lost interest. For a long scene like that with talking heads, take some lessons from Woody Allen and speed up the dialogue, even having them talk over one another. It's more natural. Guys, especially. We generally have short attention spans so as we're listening to a conversation we have a tendancy to have a thought and blurt it out (at least I do :)).

The movie Weather Man had a very true to life sequence on what goes on in a guy's head, and it hit very close to home for me, and that was all about "tartar sauce". :lol:

Last edited:
Woody allen also kept the frame moving by moving the actors around in it...that way he didn't have to cut and could just let the take roll.

Back