Is a Sony F3 worthwhile buying in 2015??

Does a Sony F3 still make sense to people in 2015? Because have you seen on eBay lately just how cheap they're going? :-o You can pick up a Sony F3 for similar pricing to a new BMCC.

The expensive SxS media puts me off, but this appears to be an easy way to avoid that expense:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/786662-REG/Sonnet_SD_SXS_E34_SDHC_Adapter_for_SxS.html

For the only extra grand or so over the cost of an AF100 or FS100 it would seem like an F3 is worth it if you're looking for an older large sensor camcorder on the ultra cheap.

(as I've been seriously looking into getting an AF100 for only a grand, just so I can have an "impressive" pro looking camera to impress the brides/guests at wedding shoots, with the rest of my kit being 1x GH4 + 1x GH2 + 2x GH1. I know images is all that should matter, and appearances shouldn't matter, but in real life first impressions do matter. If a few extra hundred dollars to get an AF100 over GH2 with the same image quality, then leads to more bookings, that it is money very well spent. But then this logic dangerously leads me down the path to spend even more on a Sony F3... as then I could use the F3 on serious jobs too)

For context, I also own a kitted out BMPCC (that I love love) but it can look like a glorified smartphone to some people :-/ (until they see the images produced! But again, first impressions do matter and last)

Atomos products peak at 10-bit 422 HQ, so you're not getting full 444. However, I would argue the difference is negligible, especially when you consider the difference in price to get the extra chroma.

If I were to shoot a project where the difference is essential, I would rent a different cam or rent a Pix/Odyssey.

I've happily shot 422HQ on the Alexa. Honestly, your lenses and lighting will make much more of a difference to the image quality than the extra chroma subsampling info.

Also, haven't had my Shogun screen crack yet :) (touch wood)

It's over $300 a day to hire an Odyssey 7Q+ last time I checked... and the PIX240i is similarly priced. So I opted for the external recorder because I think lenses are easier ( and sometimes cheaper ) to hire, and if there is a budget, probably would prefer to hire a cinema lens anyway. I agree that 10 bit 422 is professional enough for most applications but the 444 RGB upgrade is already on the F3 and I'd hate to let it go untested. Also I think it will come in handy in DaVinci Resolve... something I want to explore more in depth soon.

Back