How to come up with a studio name?

Hi! I'm a student filmmaker, and am starting to get into making better films. I'm trying to think of a production studio name, but I can't think of a name for it. How did you come up with your production name? Any advice for a teenage filmmaker?

With studio names you can go any of several ways.
1. Make it something that is meaningful to you. An example being 'Alcove Audio' (a user on the site). In that case, it just so happens that what was meaningful to them also sounded very cool.

2. Make it meaningful to the genre you plan to work in. If you're thinking of making war films, for example, a (top of my head, don't use this, it sounds bad) name could be Ammunition Films. Of course, 'Films' or 'Studios' or 'Pictures' doesn't need to go on the end, but often it helps.

3. Just make it something that you think sounds good. I went with my 'studio name' because I was reading a book and I came across a phrase used that I thought sounded good ('was Big, Red. Films often' became Big Red Films), so I went with it. It is as simple as that.

4. Google 'studio name generator'.

In my opinion, something meaningful or memorable to you and your life plus the aesthetic of words. It's simple, but only you can make it.

I think the most important in this case, is YOU to feel right with this, like carrying your baby on your arms.

An example being 'Alcove Audio' (a user on the site).

Alcove Audio Productions comes from the fact that my first "studio" was in an alcove of my apartment.

When you enter the studio in the basement of my house you need to duck under a beam or risk a knot on your forehead (if you're over six feet tall, anyway). So my studio is, unofficially, "Low Bridge Studios."

My wife occasionally freelances as graphic artist - which is also her full-time job - and does chores that other graphic artists find tedious and boring (she's incredibly fast as well as talented). Her freelance business is "Donkey Works" as she does the donkey work that others don't want to do.

Last edited:
Make it memorable
Meaningful
Look for something that inspires you
Maybe look at word definitions to break down the purpose of your company

Maybe name it after someone important to you.

There's many things

Research any interesting name so that someone else don't have it

Alcove Audio Productions comes from the fact that my first "studio" was in an alcove of my apartment.

When you enter the studio in the basement of my house you need to duck under a beam or risk a knot on your forehead (if you're over six feet tall, anyway). So my studio is, unofficially, "Low Bridge Studios."

My wife occasionally freelances as graphic artist - which is also her full-time job - and does chores that other graphic artists find tedious and boring (she's incredibly fast as well as talented). Her freelance business is "Donkey Works" as she does the donkey work that others don't want to do.
Yeah, I had seen you explain it to someone before and I thought it was a cool story behind the name, so it came to me as an example : )

Donkey Works is also a cool name/story. I like it.

I had years where mine was called 'Chookmaster Films' but at age 16 decided I could do a little better. One night I came up with 'Mile Creations'. Not sure why, I thought it sounded cool. I asked a few people what they thought then made it official. Nowadays (3 years later) I like the name but think I could have done something better perhaps or something more related to myself or my name, but now more people know me by MileCreations then they do 'Brendan Cherry' and so I consider it would probably be a business mistake to change the name now.

So make sure you are very happy with whatever you decide before you start publicizing it.

I had years where mine was called 'Chookmaster Films' but at age 16 decided I could do a little better. One night I came up with 'Mile Creations'. Not sure why, I thought it sounded cool. I asked a few people what they thought then made it official. Nowadays (3 years later) I like the name but think I could have done something better perhaps or something more related to myself or my name, but now more people know me by MileCreations then they do 'Brendan Cherry' and so I consider it would probably be a business mistake to change the name now.

So make sure you are very happy with whatever you decide before you start publicizing it.

lol, I know you more by Brendan Cherry, cuz of this file in my web-series footage that says "News Anchor Brendan Cherry" It looks super sophisticated. :cool:

How about "Brain Damaged Productions?"

(Seems like a company that would hire Uwe Boll a lot, though :lol: )

How about "Brain Damaged Productions?"

Who wants to work with someone with Brain Damage - except maybe headbangers and dopers, and they never have any money!

@Noah - are you that Noah? You know, build an ark and collect animal pairs? I know, not funny, and you've heard it 100,000 times, but that's an avenue to explore. Read the whole Noah and the Flood section of the Bible and see if there is anything there that would be cool for a name. Any hobbies? Take something from there. Maybe something one of your kids did or said.

When my oldest daughter was four (she's 21 now) and she sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" it always came out as "Huppa Buppa whirl so eye" instead of "Up above the world so high;" for a while I seriously considered Huppa Buppa Audio.

Years ago a band I was in rehearsed at Wachuwan Sound. Yeah, seems boring until you called them and they answered "What you want?"

have you made any movies? You could do like Adam Sandler and combine Billy Madison with Happy Gilmore to come up with Happy Madison. Simple name, better than most names out there

@Noah - are you that Noah? You know, build an ark and collect animal pairs? I know, not funny, and you've heard it 100,000 times, but that's an avenue to explore. Read the whole Noah and the Flood section of the Bible and see if there is anything there that would be cool for a name. Any hobbies? Take something from there. Maybe something one of your kids did or said.

I just had an idea! What about Ark or Arc Entertainment, so some people would get some of the play on words of Noah's Ark!

whatever you like. The way the Bible spells it is with a k.

Maybe an intro logo could be Noah gathering film equipment inside an ark, to protect it from a storm (and 2 of every kind of animal with rabies, but that's pushing it)

Back