D800 video expands from 'Pros'?

Currently shooting GH2 for video but my Dad and I are Nikon still shooters so I have way more Pro Nikon glass then Lumix. Thinking of getting the D800 to merge the Photo & Video into one camera but I wondering what people think and links to good video with the camera.

I'm thinking shots that are low light, noir look, perhaps slow-mo (software as the D800 only does 24fps right?).

Thanks

Currently shooting GH2 for video but my Dad and I are Nikon still shooters so I have way more Pro Nikon glass then Lumix. Thinking of getting the D800 to merge the Photo & Video into one camera but I wondering what people think and links to good video with the camera.

I'm thinking shots that are low light, noir look, perhaps slow-mo (software as the D800 only does 24fps right?).

Thanks

Hi Graeme - you might want to look at this video before you switch.

There may be a better (and less expensive) option that is good in low light - and shoots 1080/60p slow motion video.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
The benefit of the D800 is you get clean HDMI out, which means you could attach an Atomos or similar to record in ProRes 422 HQ or whatever you need, rather than ending up with a 4:2:0 8-bit H.264.

Not sure if you get that on the GH3, couldn't tell you.

Well he wants to merge his photo and video camera into one, which is smart for someone who is not a 100% video guy. I'm guessing he has Nikon lenses, which are useless for taking photos on the GH3.

That is my dilemma as well. Unfortunately, there aren't any good options right now.

Well he wants to merge his photo and video camera into one, which is smart for someone who is not a 100% video guy. I'm guessing he has Nikon lenses, which are useless for taking photos on the GH3.

That is my dilemma as well. Unfortunately, there aren't any good options right now.

Exactly!

I only own one Lumix lens, the 17mm, but using nikon's with adapters is a pain.

Yes- it's a tough call. I made it a couple of years ago, and I did miss the still image quality of my Canons and Nikons until I got the GH3. As Joey over at Coffee and Cinema says in his GH3 review, "Nikon and Canon are still cameras that can shoot video. The GH2 and GH3 are still and video cameras."

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

I don't know about the GH3 (I want to check it out) but the D800 with pro glass is an awesome camera. Significantly better than the 5D MkII. I did a music vid shoot a few weeks ago and with pro glass, I was so impressed.

However, I have never managed to get my paws on a GH3 or 5D Mk III so this is not really a comparison.

But my opinion is it is an awesome low light camera and with someone who knows how to use it, it rocks.

Back