The best camera for low light indoor filming?

I'm looking for a starting point for my research, I will be shooting indoors, at night, so all light will be brought in, and it's a close and personal conversation/interview type setting- so I want it to look natural and not lit up with a ton of lights.

I saw some sample pieces, and to my (untrained and inexperienced) eye the D7000 did an incredibly impressive job in film mode with a regular 18-105 lens, and just a couple of living room lights that were on anyway- would going with Prime lenses and a FX camera make a huge difference, or is there something else to focus on that you'd recommend?

Ironically, budget isn't a huge issue on restricting what I get to use on this, but of course I don't want to be wasteful either. If there's a DSLR or even the Black Magic Ursla or something similar that someone would recommend I look into, that does a great job in such low light settings, please let me know. I'm interested in a crisp, clear, high resolution picture/film, and willing to spend if there's something for X amount more that I'd get X·2 times better a result.

Thanks!

And these are better options than even video cameras, even the Black Magic USRA camera?

The current Ursa's *terribad* for low-light (a compromise made to get the global shutter in there) but this may change with the new 4.6k sensor - too early to say yet though. The Pocket and Cinema Cameras are better since they have a native ISO of 800 (Ursa is 400) - pair the PCC/CC with a SpeedBooster and a fast lens and you can do some respectable low-light shooting.

AFAIK though, *nothing* comes close to what the A7s can do - it's low-light is just insane (C100=ISO 80k, A7s=ISO 409k).

Indoors with a few living room lights is not a terribly challenging situation. So a Sony A7s would be total overkill.

Even my old Panasonic GH1 with a fast lens could handle this situation with ease.
(And you can pick up a used GH1 for US$150ish, is the best bargain buy you can find! Other than a Sony NEX-5N, which goes for about the same)

But as you've got a little bit more budget, I'd suggest a Sony A6000. Is the next best at lowlight after the Sony A7s which is cheaper than it. And is still damn nice for non extreme situations (which yours isn't). I use an A5100 a lot myself, which is practically the same camera in many ways. (Used a Sony A7s too)

Last edited:
If you want deep DOF indoors though, the A7s is better for that than most cameras. A lot of other ones, are only good if you open up the aperture to a shallow DOF, unless you prefer that for the whole shoot.

Back