• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about making DVDs.

When I make DVDs and blu rays, of a movie I helped out on, there is always a point in the disc where the sound cuts out. It is sure to happen at least once while making a copy. Is their any way to make a copy without the sound cutting out once in a while? It's only for a fraction of a second but it sounds like a skip, and it is very noticeable.

Thanks for the help :).

I am using Encore DVD, with the blu ray and DVD burner that came with my computer. It's windows 7. I pretty much followed the exact same workflow you see in this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXYLCxhUJr8

This is the best of all the tutorials in my opinion, unless the settings are wrong? At 3:20 into the video, is what I used so far to make a DVD for example. I used all the same settings he did. However I used a different 'write speed'. His write speed only goes up to 2x, where as my version of Encore DVD goes up to 16x. I used that but I should I use a slower one?

Once I even had a disc that wouldn't play at all on a DVD player.
But after I made a copy of it, the copy worked perfectly.
(I was an intern at a production company. When I said to the producer: "let's check if the copy works." He looked at me like I was crazy. When the DVD played he was like "WTF!!! i thought you were crazy, but this is genius" )

Once I even had a disc that wouldn't play at all on a DVD player.
But after I made a copy of it, the copy worked perfectly.
(I was an intern at a production company. When I said to the producer: "let's check if the copy works." He looked at me like I was crazy. When the DVD played he was like "WTF!!! i thought you were crazy, but this is genius" )

This doesn't surprise me at all. Computers can behave very strangely. Sometimes you just gotta try stuff and see what happens! :)

Okay thanks. However when I watch the tutorial on Encore, they show that you have the option of writing the DVD at "1x" of the speed. However, in my version of encore it goes down to only 4x at the slowest. Is it possible to download and install 1x to make it better?

You can also have Encore create an iso file instead. Then use whatever burning software you want to use.

I always create an ISO file..that way I can test it by mounting it as a DVD to ensure everything looks good and don't end up with coasters. Once I am satisfied I can send it to a DVD duplication service or burn it myself and I have the ISO file backed up.

4x for DVD's and 1x for Blu Rays is always preferred for quality reasons.

When setting the burn speed for faster than that, the accuracy of the burns go down a lot. Essentially, optical discs are burning long lines and short lines for 1's and 0's, also known as "Bytes" and there are millions to billions of ones and zeroes, hence the term "megabytes" and "gigabytes".

When the speed of the burns are turned up, the lines can become jagged and less easily read by the drives or players later. That's why some discs skip or take longer to load or lag when playing.

FINAL-NUMBER-TWO.gif

Okay thank you very much. Since we are on the subject I want to make a master copy of our movie so I can delete all of the other footage off my internal hard drive. I have copies on external hard drives, but I would like to delete the copies of my internal. But if something is wrong with the current master copy, I do not want to delete the copies off of the internal because if I have to go back into Premiere Pro and make another copy, then Premiere Pro, would loose all of the files, and I would have to relink hundreds if not thousands of shots.

So is there any way of being able to tell if the master copy is good before deleting the all the footage used? It plays fine, but what if for example, it is not compatible for making a blue ray or something. How do you tell if the footage was exported properly out of Premiere Pro for a master, since I have to delete the copies off of my internal drive now?

Back