No more youtube revenue for us

Feb 20 marks the date of "no more revenue" for those of us who earn money on youtube. They have officially announced that as of Feb 20 2018 in order for you to earn money on you tube, you MUST have 1000 subscribers and 4000 views per year. If you do not have that, your videos will no longer be monitized. Do the math. Your video will need to get 11 hours of views per day to reach 4000 hours. And lets not even talk about having 1000 subscribers. And they continue: Once you reach 1000 subscribers, you must maintain that for one year, and THEN you can apply for "revenue partner" status. What a joy. First Amazon Prime lowers it's royalty by over half, and then youtube cuts it out altogether. Where can we make a buck...

That is a totally different subject matter: automatic identification of stolen audio and the compensation for the rights owners is something unrelated to moneizing possibilties. Those videos could never be monetized by the uploader in the first place.
No it isn't. I upload videos all the time that are automatically monetized because it's content that is distributed by Tunecore. Other people do to. I still get paid.

There is an upside to this. It will challenge people to create more content and to be creative. I can't be the only one that is annoyed by videos that get millions of views made with little to no effort, while people like us who put in a lot of heart and effort into our work barely gets viewed. Social Media is at a point right now where stupidity gets views. I'm hoping this change will create a shift in attitude when comes to creating content.

There is an upside to this. It will challenge people to create more content and to be creative. I can't be the only one that is annoyed by videos that get millions of views made with little to no effort, while people like us who put in a lot of heart and effort into our work barely gets viewed. Social Media is at a point right now where stupidity gets views. I'm hoping this change will create a shift in attitude when comes to creating content.

If that stuff is getting millions of views, then incentivizing ONLY those creators wouldn't exactly lead to better content.

People are dumb. Why use YouTube for money when it's so difficult? Use it to gather a fan base then use other websites like Patreon, kickstater etc.

If your video isn't monetized, then it severely hurts your SEO.

Even then, the main issue here is the principle. Like many have said, if this hurts you, then this probably wasn't a major source of income for you in the first place. The people protesting these changes KNOW this, so obviously money isn't the biggest problem here.

There are people who’ve been on YouTube a lot longer than the likes of Logan Paul, who don’t make his sort of clickbaity bullshit, who are now being excluded from the Partner program. These people are not the problem, they never were the problem, and excluding them isn’t going to fix the problem.

Maybe this new Facebook thing will be the Messiah

https://qz.com/1199751/facebook-may-be-trying-to-coax-creators-away-from-youtube/

No it isn't. I upload videos all the time that are automatically monetized because it's content that is distributed by Tunecore. Other people do to. I still get paid.

Sorry, you left the part out where you get a share of the add revenue.
In my situation where I often work with stock music that content also gets automaticly monetized, unless I whitelist the video, and all revenue goes to the owner of the rights. (Since the music is always paid for and my clients don't want adds to distract from their content, I make sure the videos are whitelisted, so there will be no adds.)
The same happens with most pop music: when you pirate content, they monetize.

Hence my confusion and my remark that it is a different subject.
(It still is a bit of a different subject: this is using a label for distribution of your music and using the YouTube algorithm to monetize it. It is using the 'musician-protection'. Not quite a typical road for movie creators or vloggers. Plus it doesn't leave you in control of whether or not you will monetize something.
But it is cool that this can be done :) )

If that stuff is getting millions of views, then incentivizing ONLY those creators wouldn't exactly lead to better content.

Even then, the main issue here is the principle. Like many have said, if this hurts you, then this probably wasn't a major source of income for you in the first place. The people protesting these changes KNOW this, so obviously money isn't the biggest problem here.

There are people who’ve been on YouTube a lot longer than the likes of Logan Paul, who don’t make his sort of clickbaity bullshit, who are now being excluded from the Partner program. These people are not the problem, they never were the problem, and excluding them isn’t going to fix the problem.

Some wise words from the mussonman.

YouTube acts like banning bowling after Columbine: punishing people who are not related to the problem.

Maybe this new Facebook thing will be the Messiah

https://qz.com/1199751/facebook-may-be-trying-to-coax-creators-away-from-youtube/

Facebook will most probably be moving into the youtube market at some point.
Facebook wants it all man, did you know facebook is competing with twitch now ?

"ESL has announced a deal with Facebook that will make the social media site its "main broadcast partner" for CS:GO Pro League and ESL One events"

facebook is already competing with YouTube by priotising facebook videos over YT-links and by using autoplay and a more biased viewcounter to make the reach of fb-video look even greater than YT than it is.
Unfortunately I think their compression looks horrible and the add system is a videokiller.

The show Norm Macdonald Live is gone from YouTube, I think the videos were removed yesterday. I don't know how long they've been on Amazon Prime but they seem to be there now exclusively. It's a pretty good show. I gather the same thing happened before with Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee going to Hulu.

So it's like they tested their show on YouTube then made a deal with Amazon/Hulu.

The show Norm Macdonald Live is gone from YouTube, I think the videos were removed yesterday. I don't know how long they've been on Amazon Prime but they seem to be there now exclusively. It's a pretty good show. I gather the same thing happened before with Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee going to Hulu.

So it's like they tested their show on YouTube then made a deal with Amazon/Hulu.

Seinfeld's COMEDIANS IN CARS GETTING COFFEE originated with Sony's Crackle.com and only used Youtube for partial distribution. The 2nd season on included advertising inside the episodes. It was funded and paid for from day one.

Norm MacDonald's show was also funded by sponsors inside each episode.

Youtube Revenue sharing never factored much into either example you mentioned. They were properties from known celebrities and once they signed a new distribution deal, it would include exclusivity to the new outlets, of course that means yanking them from Youtube.

Apparently Netflix is paying Seinfeld $100 million to get those episodes, make 24 new ones, & 2 standup specials.
Must be nice to get paid that much when you probably already have a lot more in the bank. Is Netflix really making enough money to afford all this stuff they're producing?

Yes, and it's also a future investment. At some point, everyone else is going to have their own streaming services and Netflix will need their own exclusive content

I think Seinfeld's show is also being funded by product placement. I can't imagine they wouldn't negotiate with the car companies for some cash to feature their vehicles and talk about them like they're the greatest thing ever

At some point, everyone else is going to have their own streaming services and Netflix will need their own exclusive content
Ah right, like the Disney Fox streaming. They're gonna keep all the Fox, Disney, Marvel, Buena Vista, Touchstone films to themselves, pretty big draw.
I can't imagine they wouldn't negotiate with the car companies for some cash to feature their vehicles
Makes sense.

Tragic results for what looks like mentally unbalanced YouTuber.

39 yr. old female YouTuber Nasim Aghdam shot & injured 3 people before killing herself
at YouTube Headquarters in San Bruno, California.
She had been complaining for a while about YouTube's policies, saying her channels
were being censored & prevented from getting views. Her father told police that YouTube
had recently done something that “caused her to become upset & that may have been why
she was in the area." She had driven about 500 miles from her home in San Diego.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/technology/nasim-aghdam-youtube-shooter.html

She had been complaining for a while about YouTube's policies, saying her channels
were being censored & prevented from getting views. Her father told police that YouTube
had recently done something that “caused her to become upset & that may have been why
she was in the area.
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Google.... all of 'em are run by progressive / liberals who kick conservative speech to the curb through their algorithms.

Back