• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Connecting plotlines in a sitcom

Hello guys.

When writing plotlines for multiple characters, do you think it's always more interesting and satisfying if the stories connect with each other? For example a story for someone trying to sell an house and another of someone trying to find a job, and find a way of connecting both so they dont feel completely unrelated.

Something like Modern Family for example, where some stories end up touching others stories.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Personally I think this is what makes sitcoms work, especially if they center around a group of people and not just a single person. Larry David is the master of this, starting with multiple seemingly unrelated plotlines and bringing them together in the end. Check out Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm, if you haven't already.

Easy to connect those. Your person trying to find a job gets in with a realtor with the task of just showing the house - open the doors, hand out pamphlets - until the actual realtor shows up.

The person selling the house thinks this IS the realtor --- take it from there.

Thank you both.

Cstein15 i've only see few Seinfeld episodes yet but i've started to watch Curb You Enthusiasm and it's pretty good.

alex ma whitmer that was just a random example but you nailed it lol

Back