• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing series

Hello guys.

Can someone give me any tips to write TV series?

I had an idea for a story but this time i think it could be interesting if done in series but i've never wrote in that format and i'm a bit lost here.

Thanks a lot guys!

The first step is to write out the synopsis of the entire series, also known as the "A story" line. Where do you want it to ultimately go? Then once you have that you basically break the story into episodes. Episodes are smaller storylines that build to make up the A story. For example, in Breaking Bad, the "A story" is about Walter White turning an RV into a meth lab to provide for his family after he dies. Every episode leads to the end goal, however, each episode also has a "B story" that keeps the audience engaged and builds character.
How this looks in episode format really just depends on what you are looking to do. Are they 30 or 60 minute episodes etc. Hopefully that helps get you started:)

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Similar to writing a feature, a writer should have a idea of how things will end in the story so the path to that ending can be built through the episodes.

For example, if writing just the pilot and someone ask me "Ok now how will this develop now?" or "Whats your idea for how will be the ending for this?", i should and i must be able to answer?

Thank you.

For example, if writing just the pilot and someone ask me "Ok now how will this develop now?" or "Whats your idea for how will be the ending for this?", i should and i must be able to answer?
A series could last five to ten to even fifteen years. Things can and will
change over time. And those things will change the ending you have in
mind today. But you should have an answer to "how will this develop".

Hello again guys.

Just one more thing:

I remember reading somewhere that the pilot should already be about the premise and not about what happen before what the story will really be.
I'm not sure but i think it was that. I didn't fully agree because that can be another way to introduce the characters, and that was my idea for the pilot.

I'd like to know, if possible, you opinions on this.

Thanks a lot once again!

Last edited:
Hello again guys.

Just one more thing:

I remember reading somewhere that the pilot should already be about the premise and not about what happen before what the story will really be.
I'm not sure but i think it was that. I didn't fully agree because that can be another way to introduce the characters, and that was my idea for the pilot.

I'd like to know, if possible, you opinions on this.

Thanks a lot once again!
I agree. The pilot should not be about what happened before the story. The
pilot should be about what is happening right now.

But if your idea for your pilot is to show what happened before the story starts
then you should write that. It seems to me if what is important to your series
is what happens before the pilot then (perhaps) you are starting too late in your
story.

You are the creative force behind YOUR story. Tell it your way. Don't follow what
you remember reading somewhere.

Hi directorik. Thanks a lot for your reply.

Reading my post again, i think i didn't explain correctly, or maybe you did answer to what i was trying to know.

I wasn't talking about flashbacks or what happens before the present in the story.

Let's say that the series is around a group of people working in a company or something like that. One of my ideas for the pilot is to show a bit of characters life moments before joining that job, but not as a flashback, it would be happening in that moment.

Yes of course and i agree, each one should tell the story its own way.

Thanks!!

Hi directorik. Thanks a lot for your reply.

Reading my post again, i think i didn't explain correctly, or maybe you did answer to what i was trying to know.

I wasn't talking about flashbacks or what happens before the present in the story.

Let's say that the series is around a group of people working in a company or something like that. One of my ideas for the pilot is to show a bit of characters life moments before joining that job, but not as a flashback, it would be happening in that moment.

Yes of course and i agree, each one should tell the story its own way.

Thanks!!

I thought a pilot is supposed to give you a general idea of what the show will be like.
Doesn't sound much like the show, the way you describe it.

It difficult commenting on specifics with so little specific information.

I never suggested you were doing flashbacks. My comment was addressing
when your story starts. I believe the pilot is where the story starts. Of course
all the characters have backgrounds and lives that happened before the story
starts. I'm sure you've watched dozens of pilot episodes. Which ones did you
think worked the best? I'm sure you've watched the pilot episode of many shows
that went on for many seasons. something in those made viewers come back
and watch for many years. What do you think that is?

Are you writing for YOUR country or for the US? Or for the UK?

Thanks for your reply.

I think that what makes viewers come back to watch the show is the characters.

But i also agree that if it's going to be about a group of people working in a company, it doesn't make sense that the pilot isn't exactly about that, it's a little weird and disjointed.

About your last quesion, i'm not sure yet. I think i will write things as i feel they should be, and not with that in mind.

Thanks.

Back