How to upload videos to Vimeo and YouTube high speed with DSL

Anyone with DSL Internet service knows how agonisingly slow it is to upload videos where upload speeds are only a fraction of the speed of downloads. I have a solution. All it takes is a 4G smartphone.

Transfer a copy of your video to your phone in mp4 format. Take your phone off Wi-Fi and let it default to its native 4G service. Use your mobile version of Vimeo and YouTube and upload your videos.

You will be impressed how much faster your videos upload. What takes hours with DSL will upload in under a minute and as little are a few seconds.

There are different plans. Most mobile service providers are offering 5 Gigs a month as a standard. So many people use their Wi-Fi so much, they forget they have the 5 Gigs with a 4G service that they are paying for anyway. Uploading a 2 or 3 hundred Meg file can take a good 8 to 10 hours to upload with DSL. The same file in the same size in mp4 format can upload in under a minute with 4G.

2 or 3 hundred Meg file can take a good 8 to 10 hours to upload with DSL
I thought our upload speeds here were criminally slow. I was getting better upload speeds a couple of decades ago using dialup than your connection. You may have a problem with your connection that needs attending.

mp4 format
It's not the container, it's the bitrate of that'll determine the file size.

If you have the spare bandwidth on your phone, it's a great option for those who don't care if they upload the occasional low bit rate media.

If you're running with the higher bitrates and/or don't have the spare bandwidth, the billshock may become an unwanted punch to the balls.

You are correct. Upload speeds are much slower, especially with DSL. 4G uploads are the fastest for consumers and small businesses. The mp4 is the format that YouTube and Vimeo mobile seem to made to use. I tried other formats. Especially YouTube mobile can't read other formats to upload. Maybe in the future, more formats will work.

Upload speeds are much slower, especially with DSL.
That's not good. I don't know why people think this is acceptable.

The mp4 is the format that YouTube and Vimeo mobile seem to made to use.
Youtube have a list of codec and containers they will accept and from what I understand, a few unlisted. They then transcode the media into what they want. The belief is they still transcode, even if you upload as h264/mp4. The quality of the end result depends on the quality of what's uploaded.

The software for YouTube and Vimeo for desktops and laptops handles shopping lists of different formats of media files. The mobile device versions are made for smaller memory devices with slower processors. The mp4 format will universally run on all. More expensive mobile devices with more memory and speed have media players available to play many more formats of files. Software like VLC Player and Cyberlink media player for mobile devices play nearly as many formats as computers.

Maybe in the future, YouTube and Vimeo mobile software will be able to upload more media formats as well.

The mobile device versions are made for smaller memory devices with slower processors. The mp4 format will universally run on all.
Have you been listening to your IT friends at work again?

This is where your lack of understanding has you mansplaining details which you're not only wrong, you're in an entirely wrong ball park.

I can give you a piece of 1080p mp4 media which will make most devices fall over in a heap. Most of these devices with slower processors are tested with h264, though when you put h265 inside that mp4, they'll shit themselves. It will however, decrease your upload time, often in half. It's a cutesy little trick. Going by what you're saying, you be worried about people not being able to watch your video?

Maybe in the future, YouTube and Vimeo mobile software will be able to upload more media formats as well.
True dat? So you're saying the Prores files I uploaded you Youtube won't work? If not, why not? What about DNxHD/HR?

Have you been listening to your IT friends at work again?

This is where your lack of understanding has you mansplaining details which you're not only wrong, you're in an entirely wrong ball park.

I can give you a piece of 1080p mp4 media which will make most devices fall over in a heap. Most of these devices with slower processors are tested with h264, though when you put h265 inside that mp4, they'll shit themselves. It will however, decrease your upload time, often in half. It's a cutesy little trick. Going by what you're saying, you be worried about people not being able to watch your video?

True dat? So you're saying the Prores files I uploaded you Youtube won't work? If not, why not? What about DNxHD/HR?

Try it.

As I said, YouTube won't find files other than mp4 to upload. So, it can't upload them. Mobile devices using VCL can run many more HD formats than just mp4 very clean. Cyberlink media player is another media player that plays many more media formats. They play 1080p and 720p very well. It's the software that uploads the files that can't read the files in other formats where the problem lies.

Try it.

As I said, YouTube won't find files other than mp4 to upload.
Sure, lets try it again.

Ok, lets go on this moronic journey and try:
MOV wrapper, Cineform Q4 codec: Found it and it upload also works.
MOV wrapper, DNxHD codec: Found it and it upload also works.
WMV: Found it and it upload also works.
AVI: Found it and it upload also works.

Not a single mp4 container used and Youtube not only found it, but accepted it and processed it. No need to continue to try others. I'm a little surprised Youtube accepted the Cineform codec. It's good to know for future reference.

I guess your PEBCAKs are playing up. I can only hope you can fix the issue. Hoping H44 can fix his RTFMs too.

It's all as I said.

I really wish you'd stop making shit up and declaring it as fact.

Last edited:
YT mobile site or app may be simplified, I have no idea, but you can also view the site as a full desktop site on a phone, so try that.

And there's really no need for such snarky answers from know-it-alls.

Many sites do that. You can often visit the full site though through a link to the full site or by removing the mobile part of the address field in the browser. :)

Facebook mobile will also upload smaller pics, or at least they used to.

Thanks Indietalk. Just have to fight the software on a mobile phone because the web sites detect the device as a mobile phone and try to switch to the mobile web site.

When I get some time, I will try it out with my Windows 8.1 Tablet. The tablet fools software and web sites that it is a computer. I can use the mobile phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot for the tablet to get the benefit of the 4G network.

Back