Sales Copy for Bloggers and News Sources

We're getting ready to Kickstart for a proof-of-concept piece for this pitch we're preparing for and part of that involves getting press. So I came up with this simple press release that touches on what we're doing and why our niche may be interested in this film (scifi/futurist crowd). I was just wondering if you guys would be willing to critique it and give us your honest feedback. Thank you so much and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys think:

Aspiring Young Filmmakers Create a Show that Explores the Social Effects of the Singularity

Two Brothers tell a dynamic story that connects our lives to the coming Singularity and how we’re currently dealing with the unknown future.

Baltimore, Maryland, October 15th 2015 — The Co-founding brothers of Ionia Media, ____ and ____, are setting out to Kickstart a 14-episode series called Novek, which expands on the relationship between the unknown future and how we handle uncertainty.

Set in present day, this mind-bending scifi thriller follows four characters through the end of space and time. A large, “Void” appears in the furthest reaches of our universe and is growing larger everyday as it consumes everything in it’s path. In six weeks it will reach Earth, and no one has any idea what will happen when it gets here. Everything stops, society panics, and within weeks the whole World begins to crumble.

In the middle of these twisted turn of events are four characters whose fates are inextricably linked. There’s a prison doctor who struggles to overcome PTSD, a psychopath searching for redemption, a criminal looking to find himself, and the daughter of a cult leader who is trying to get out of the shadows of her father.

The brothers are currently running a Kickstarter campaign and plan to raise $10,000. You can find it here:

“We want to create something that reaches out to a mainstream audience, because we really want to expand on this very important conversation about the Singularity. I mean what is it? Should we be afraid, or should we simply be afraid of being afraid and causing a stir when it’s not even necessary? And what does that kind of fear even look like within our modern-time? Novek takes these questions and pumps them full of steroids. It’s a wild trip you don’t want to miss.”

Edit: Deleting my post as I just realized, this is a publicity thread for the project and not for my ramblings. Sorry about that. Hope that's okay with moderators.

Last edited:
This isn't for publicity. Otherwise I would have shown you a link to something. Should I have not included the name? Sorry about that. I'm genuinely interested in your input, I swear.

This isn't for publicity. Otherwise I would have shown you a link to something. Should I have not included the name? Sorry about that. I'm genuinely interested in your input, I swear.

I removed my post because I thought you represented Ionia Media. And after I read it again, it didn't look like you wanted my critique, but just to get the info out. So I edited my post.

But if you want my input, the whole issue is "following." I don't have a following on youtube, or anywhere else, but I myself am planning a crowdfunding campaign. I'm trying something different, but I'm not sure that it will work. But we'll see. And in all honesty, I don't think my plan is going to work. But that's the problem. The crowd will fund you, if they know you. If they don't know you, you better have something so amazing, people will tell their friends about it. And post facebook posts about it. Otherwise... we're dead meat, however much we love our own project.

Also, this particular film would work fine, if hollywood made it. It's a story of "what happens when there is no consequence" like The Purge. If Hollywood makes it and markets it, people will go watch it. If you and I make it, people will say things like "Oh, it's like The Purge. Not interesting." These same people will go watch The Purge 2.

That's what I think. I think the mistake we make as indie filmmakers is going after the entire market. We have to identify a niche and just go after that niche. How to do that, I don't know.

That's what I think. I think the mistake we make as indie filmmakers is going after the entire market. We have to identify a niche and just go after that niche. How to do that, I don't know.

Well, that's why we're making this press release because we have several contacts who may be interested in writing a piece about this project. We spent months identifying our niche and found some pretty cool avenues we can work in. Of course, there's no easy route. But if we can do it right, then we'll get our voices out there.

Thanks for the input.

Well, that's why we're making this press release because we have several contacts who may be interested in writing a piece about this project. We spent months identifying our niche and found some pretty cool avenues we can work in. Of course, there's no easy route. But if we can do it right, then we'll get our voices out there.

Thanks for the input.

Well I hope I didn't offend :)

How're you going about finding your niche by the way? I'm curious.

I made a movie about shyness, and tried to post on shyness forums about it, and found the moderators very hostile, understandably. Most of them said, "look, this is a forum for contributors, and shy people not for you to hawk your BS movie." And I can't disagree with them. But it cut off my avenues as I couldn't spend time posting on shyness forums all day. Maybe I should have.

I'm literally planning on standing at the town square in Toronto with a big sign that says, "Please watch my free movie," once the film is released.

It's okay. You didn't offend me :)

Sounds like a hard niche to find. Perhaps looking into communities for introverts, psychologists, neurologists, etc would be helpful. Its good to get specific with your niche, but too specific may pigeon-hole you. If you look into other niches that overlap with each other, it'll be much easier to find that community you're looking for.

I'd check this article out. It was extremely helpful for us: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2012/12...ys-includes-successful-templates-e-mails-etc/

It's a basic blue print design we used to guide us through this process. Granted, there's a lot of more to it, but basically you just identify similar kickstarter campaigns and put their images in google images to see where their ads show up. Chances are its on blogging sites that fit the niche you're looking for. Then you can use similar sites.com to find more by putting in the initial urls you find. And of course, there's twitter, facebook, pintrest, instagram, etc. Tons of sites that can link you to online forums and blogs that would be helpful in finding your niche.

One of the most remarkable things I found with marketing is that most people don't actually go to film sites. Most of the time, they'll go on youtube or twitter and find the link that'll take them to the site, but once they're done looking at the content, they'll leave until you make more content to share. Obviously, you can change that if you focus on building a platform for your site, but most filmmakers, even highly professional ones don't have time to spend all that energy on driving traffic to their sites, so they rely on bloggers that are established already and have a lot of niche traffic driving through their. That way, they can focus on the film and kickstarter or whatever, and get bloggers to drive an audience to them.

But, to do that you have to make your presence known. Post content all the time, comment on bloggers posts, and follow specific writers for big companies and try to communicate with them early on. Downplay your own film, until you can show them something. In the mean time give them other things to bide your time and get yourself in. Things like blogs or podcasts that are interesting to your niche are good and of course sharing other people's content is important.

I'm not gonna lie. We're doing the bare bones marketing and it's almost a full time job. If you can, outsource your marketing. Don't be like us!

It's okay. You didn't offend me :)

Sounds like a hard niche to find. Perhaps looking into communities for introverts, psychologists, neurologists, etc would be helpful. Its good to get specific with your niche, but too specific may pigeon-hole you. If you look into other niches that overlap with each other, it'll be much easier to find that community you're looking for.

I'd check this article out. It was extremely helpful for us: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2012/12...ys-includes-successful-templates-e-mails-etc/

It's a basic blue print design we used to guide us through this process. Granted, there's a lot of more to it, but basically you just identify similar kickstarter campaigns and put their images in google images to see where their ads show up. Chances are its on blogging sites that fit the niche you're looking for. Then you can use similar sites.com to find more by putting in the initial urls you find. And of course, there's twitter, facebook, pintrest, instagram, etc. Tons of sites that can link you to online forums and blogs that would be helpful in finding your niche.

One of the most remarkable things I found with marketing is that most people don't actually go to film sites. Most of the time, they'll go on youtube or twitter and find the link that'll take them to the site, but once they're done looking at the content, they'll leave until you make more content to share. Obviously, you can change that if you focus on building a platform for your site, but most filmmakers, even highly professional ones don't have time to spend all that energy on driving traffic to their sites, so they rely on bloggers that are established already and have a lot of niche traffic driving through their. That way, they can focus on the film and kickstarter or whatever, and get bloggers to drive an audience to them.

But, to do that you have to make your presence known. Post content all the time, comment on bloggers posts, and follow specific writers for big companies and try to communicate with them early on. Downplay your own film, until you can show them something. In the mean time give them other things to bide your time and get yourself in. Things like blogs or podcasts that are interesting to your niche are good and of course sharing other people's content is important.

I'm not gonna lie. We're doing the bare bones marketing and it's almost a full time job. If you can, outsource your marketing. Don't be like us!

Thanks. Good post!!

Back