• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Ton pays inachevé

"Your Unfinished Country" :huh:

Well... the music was pretty cool.

Like the "Homage To Arafat" video you did, the video itself seemed rather incoherent. I'm not sure what you are trying to say or express at all.

Of course, it might help if I knew more about Canadian history and specifically who the main fellow was in this. I'm assuming some seperatist politican?

Any Canadians want to chip in? :cool:

Last edited:
I have no idea what was going on, as I never learnt French.... but it didn't look very appealing... slow pace, disjointed images and sounds... nothing came across visually to direct your point home... any chance of getting subtitles?

Sadly, this video makes the search for Quebec's independance look more difficult than a man's search for his car keys, when they're in the car all along.

I hear Montreal is very nice in the summer... I'd come visit, but I only have a valid passport for Canada... :D

response to these treads of yours

Ok.

The voices and images you hear in the clips are the one or Lucien Bouchard, René Levesque, Jean chretien, Jean Charest, Charles de Gaulle, Maurice Duplessis and finally Bernard Landry.

these are all political figures in Quebec's political history ( Premier of Quebec in 1996; Premier of Quebec in the 1980's and leader of the party Quebecois and souverainiste movement at that time; Premier of Canada in the 1990's; premier of Quebec since 2003; France's leader in the sixties and friend of Quebec; premier of Quebec in the 30'-40'-50'; premier of Quebec from 1998 to 2003 ).

The rest of the images are from a manifestations for Quebec's independance or party québécois, from the sixties up to now: they represent the clashes of generations, the canadiens-français vs the québécois, faith and identity complex for quebecois to achieve their quest of having a country.

The voices symbolize:

"plus que jamais, il faudra rappeler que la démarche souverainiste en est en est une de générosité, de tolérance d'ouverture" ( Lucien Bouchard )

"More then ever, it should be recalled that the sovernist revendication is one of generosity, tolerance and opening towards others"

"J'ai confiance qu'un jour, lors d'un rendez-vous avec l'histoire que le Québec tiendra...j'ai confiance qu'on sera là, ensemble, pour y assister" ( René Levesque ) =

I believe that one day, on a date with history which will hold Quebec...I believe that we will be there, together, to assist it"

"Vive le Québec libre" ( Charles De Gaulle in an allucation in Montréal, 1967 )

"Vous savez, les elections comme dirait Maurice Duplessis, ca se gagne pas par des prières" ( Jean Chrétien )

"You know, elections, as would say Maurice Duplessis, are not won with prears"

"Y pourraient nous envoyer chez le diable" ( Jean Chrétien )

" They could send us to hell "

" On était su'l'plan de la colonization " ( Maurice Duplessis )

" We were on the colonization plan "

" C'tait un plan de milles piastres " ( Maurice Duplessis )

" It was a 1000$ dollars plan "

"J'ai jamais pensé, que j'pouvais être aussi fier d'être Québécois" ( René Levesque )

" I've never though that I could be as proud to be a Quebecois"

That's pretty much it for the audio: assembling yourself and relistening to it, you will make sense out of this clip. It touches Québécois political images, but also in some way Canadian relations with us ( As Canada has evolved because of the anglo/québécois fight ).

ZenSteve, I thank you for this opportunity to share this, and your invitation for a canadian debate about it.

As for Spatula, Montréal is a beautifull place to go in the summer ( Tam-tams at the Mont-Royal on sundays, the jazz fest, the woman...) and you know, anybody is invited to party on in Québec: you just have to respect our culture and people will answer you with a smile. :)

In the meanwhile, i'd love to see someone do the same I did about Canada's culture, just a little challenge like that to my british-american counterparts from "Canada": what is your culture my ontarian brother ?

Share with us

Ledit Renart said:
As for Spatula, Montréal is a beautifull place to go in the summer ( Tam-tams at the Mont-Royal on sundays, the jazz fest, the woman...) and you know, anybody is invited to party on in Québec: you just have to respect our culture and people will answer you with a smile. :)

In the meanwhile, i'd love to see someone do the same I did about Canada's culture, just a little challenge like that to my british-american counterparts from "Canada": what is your culture my ontarian brother ?

Share with us

Those are some powerful quotes! It's a good choice of flow, I just think the video needs to be a little more comprehensible to go with the voices.. and even without the language barrier, the words of the wuotes were hard to hear.

I've been to Montreal once, and it was the most beautiful city I've seen in North America! :) I'm hoping to come up for the film festival next year, it's a great city to party in... good friendly city.

As for my culture, I like to refer to myself as a "Skyrish Britalian". A consice mix of Scottish, Irish, British and Italian... and 1% universal, of course (who isn't). I've explored my Italian roots mostly, enjoying thier food and life style, in fact, I took Italian as an optional course... but I'm a bit rusty. Basta, non sono quel tipo di raggazo! :cool:

I'd be up for the challange if I wasn't so busy! But I once did a claymation short where plastecine monsters eat Jean Chretien, Mike Harris and Sheila Copps....(Canadian politicians, for you American folk)... the monster came from behind a stalactite as the politicians were standing with picks and hats for photographs. It devoured them and then attacked the camera. Wish I had kept that one around... I taped over it with a trip to Little Italy in my Italian class. Oh well.

ton pays inachevé

Great,

myself, I' m half spanish and half québécois: contionue to explore your roots, I did and speak fuently spanish now.

Mow, for the images, you know, they werent edited out to be linear: my goal is to make people feel as though they were in somekind of a dream. The viewer dont know exactely whats going on, standing behind all these people as though they were there ( frame with people standing in front of camera ). For the rest, you see glimps of well known politicians here and some nobody's in the crowd, people with a story to tell but you just dont know which. You see Quebecs flag, the "quebecois word", you know its a celebration, something nostalgic and at the same time, you're the guy who just arrived there.

All images were turned to black and white as to eliminate all time distinction between shots.

As I always do, the music was created before the images edited and I try to follow the rythmic of the speaches samples.

I've composed, played the instruments and added synth samples meself ( Acid pro is a bundle for that and I am a bass, guitar and drums player )

The problem with the sound goes for the reverb added to created a better illusion of a dream like movie.

Somehow, as when you dream, you cant really understand everything you see and hear, plus you feel more the images than you try to dissecate them.

Maybe this video clip, because it is short, needs to be viewed a couple of time: when createing the video, I most've listin to it 20 times !

I thought about what you said Spatula, and I cant get the finger on it: "it seems more difficult then a guy looking fo rits car keys and they are in the car all along".

How would it apply to the situation of Quebec ?

thanks guys, this was a pleasant "wake and bake" and all of this makes me go further with my art.

Rafael-Alexandre Ramos ( AKA Ledit RenArt )

lol. My original quotes rarely make any sense...
When I said that, I meant, that the with the slow pacing, and dream-like state, it almost made the tribute to Quebec's independance seem like a lost, watery dream. I know you're intention is to make it seem like a nostalgic reflection on the history of the province, but it comes across (to me, anyways) like the figures and speeches are all just a watery, vain process. By the end of the clip, I felt confused, and bewildered... perhaps that is a difference in culture, but in the end, it's just an interpretation. My analogy is one where someone is looking for something in all the wrong places, except where you have to look. And, I feel, that a tribute to independance is a simple, direct and straightforward ordeal. This clip, however, is masked in darkness, and hopelessness. It makes the tribute for independance convoluted, and bizzarre (in my eyes).

I really liked the music though, and it's interesting how you solved the differences in the time of the clips through black and white. I just felt for something that was a very simple piece, it got to muddled, and over-worked. Which brings me back to the keys analogy. Sometimes, when you're looking for something that you should have, it's often in the most appropriate place (right under your nose).

Keep wakin', bakin', and art-makin'!!!

Back