Casting

Should I videotape the casting so thus me and my DP or whomever is not at the auditions can review our talent with me?
If so, should I try and disguise the camcorder or let them know we're filming them?

Thanks in advance!
DigiRoots

You definitely want to record the auditions, for sure. There are dozens of reasons why you might want to review it later.

It is very common to record auditions. You don't need to hide it. In fact, your actors should be prepared for it, and be ready to slate themselves (ie: identify themselves for the camera) when asked.

You might want to have a sign-in sheet for your auditions that includes a release, in case you want to use the auditions for extras on a DVD.

You don't have to film, but if you want others in the production staff to help you choose, then definitely film. And there is no need to hide the camera (although that was kinda cute that you said that). Actors are going to have to get used to the camera in any and all settings. It's completely standard practice to video tape an audition.

Also, you'll want the actors to 'slate' before they begin the audition. This usually means saying their name, who they are reading for...maybe their union status...whatever info you want. Then the actor will go right into the audition after slating.

Cute...lol...hide the camera. I got a kick out of that. Thank you.

[edit: ya you guys beat me to most of it...but hey...I wanted to throw my spice in the gumbo. :)]

Last edited:
For me taping it is a must. You see if they are camera-friendly. Add to that, they are reading sides... basically it's a no-budget scene. Perfect. See who is best.

Not only should you tape the initial solo auditions, but, if possible, once you cast your lead role you should tape callback auditions for supporting roles with the reader on camera together with your lead actor. Onscreen chemistry seems like an abstract concept - and it is - but it is important.

Awesome! Thanks everyone in your big help! M1chea1, I was actually thinking about hiding a camcorder in like a plant or something;)! Now that I think of it, that's a pretty dumb idea:blush:

Thanks again to EVERYONE!:)

I was actually thinking about hiding a camcorder in like a plant or something

Imagine if they spotted it. That would be an interesting scene.

As the director or producer you can hold your auditions in any manner you want, as long as you aren't breaking any of the union's policies with certain actors. I'm not sure on the actual rules, but I believe actors in the SAG union are entitled to hold their sides if they wish. There are probably more policies to look into.

I believe actors in the SAG union are entitled to hold their sides if they wish.

Any actor, SAG or not, should hold onto their sides regardless of whether or not the dialogue is memorised.

It's a handy reference in case you get asked to "start in the middle of the second paragraph", for starters.

I was actually thinking about hiding a camcorder in like a plant

That is hilarious! :lol:

How do you audition well established actors?

First, on the filming question, yes, 100% yes. i don't even look at them when they audition, I look at the monitor. I couldn't care less how they cme across live. I want to know how it translates on camera.

You treat established actors the same, except maybe skip the initial monlologue, or having them talk about themselves and go straight to sides.

Back