Archive News Videos

Complete newb here so forgive my learning curve. I'm doing research for a short documentary about an event that happened in LA in 1983. I've been looking through print archives and found a few leads, and I found a picture from the LA Library's Herald-Examiner collection that will help me out.

I know there is (or was) news footage of it, one of my potential interviewees has a vivid flashbulb memory of watching it on the news. Here's where my inexperience comes in. My plan is to go around to all the local news channels and ask nicely if they can help me and if they have anything. I've been googling and only found UCLA's KTLA archives so far, which likely doesn't cover the time period I need.

Questions:
1 - What's the most tactful way of going about this? A friend in news on in another state said to talk to the station managers. Any particular way of asking or phrasing you recommend or just be professional and go for it?
2 - Best guess at the likelihood of getting a positive response?
3 - Are there any archive resources you know off the top of your head that you could point me towards?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers. I found something on ITN that will probably work. It's only a snippet but I'm doing way better than I was a week ago. I'll still check in with the local news. Much appreciated.

Back