• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch AGAINST TIME (Short Film)

AGAINST TIME

Once his girlfriend is held hostage, Colin Andrews, an ex-mobster, is forced to carry out a job for the Syndicate, the organisation he used to work for. This is the story of what happens next.

This film is intended to be an extract from a much larger film, however we do not have the budget to create such a film and decided to shoot the scene which we thought had the most powerful narrative so this is the result, please enjoy, the link is below, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNTPRsDP2ls&feature=feedlik

Directed by: Nick Miles
Starring: Christopher Thomson, Nick Miles, Beckie Mallord and Sam Dimitrijevic

Filmed with a Canon HDV-HV30 Camera
Edited on Sony Vegas Pro 9.0
Filmed in South East England, UK

As a disclaimer for the music use, we made no profit or gain from the film, it's all for entertainment, credit has been given to the artists.

Enjoy.

That was pretty damn good, man. It has a solid story, decent acting and the driving sequence was really intense. Minor gripes would be the audio for dialogue was sometimes a little low and was drowned out by sound effects and music. But all in all it's a very watchable action film, excellent work :D

Not bad man. The guys in camo kind of threw me off, and the opening credit for Hans Zimmer... Haha, really?

Other than that it had some good moments. Well done.

Could've done without the camo, if they were in suits I think it would've been better.
Other than that, I really liked this. Great job :)

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate, it's nice to hear good things about your work, thank you.

I'm still trying to get to grips with my audio editing, it's something I'm not that strong at but I'm learning.

I was worried about copyright infringement and use of music policies and all that lovely juicy stuff so I put him in the credits along with a disclaimer at the end just to cover my tracks but yeah Hans would never work on a amatuer youtube film haha!

The two guards were hell, I was meant to have a couple of guys come down to help with their own costumes and weapons but one had a family emergency and the other didn't turn up, I'm a paintballer so I had some military clothing in my car boot which we pulled out and used hence why, and as they were played by the same person we couldn't show their faces, a balaclava suit-wearing henchmen wouldn't have fitted.

Really not bad!

A sucessful story, clear and intense. Some of the acting was a bit weak, maybe some actors were a little too young? The pacing is one of the strongest points, i genuinely wanted to see how it ended. Would have benefitted from some colour grading, some of the shots were poorly exposed, this was especially clear in the end scene. Seemed to be issues with the shutter speed not keeping up with the action, i guess this is unavoidable with the HV30.

Also, i spotted a shotgun mic, possibly a Rode Videomic sat on the floor next to the TV in the last scene. Maybe the protagonist is a filmmaker ;)

Really though, a good film. As a fellow brit i love a bit of action in a familiar environment. May i ask how you went about filming the exterior house scenes? Last time we had balaclavas on set the armed police arrived within 30 minutes.

Really not bad!

A sucessful story, clear and intense. Some of the acting was a bit weak, maybe some actors were a little too young? The pacing is one of the strongest points, i genuinely wanted to see how it ended. Would have benefitted from some colour grading, some of the shots were poorly exposed, this was especially clear in the end scene. Seemed to be issues with the shutter speed not keeping up with the action, i guess this is unavoidable with the HV30.

Also, i spotted a shotgun mic, possibly a Rode Videomic sat on the floor next to the TV in the last scene. Maybe the protagonist is a filmmaker ;)

Really though, a good film. As a fellow brit i love a bit of action in a familiar environment. May i ask how you went about filming the exterior house scenes? Last time we had balaclavas on set the armed police arrived within 30 minutes.

Thank you very much, nice to see the narrative was appreciated.

We done those shots very quickly, balaclava wise no one really cared, several people walked by and didn't care, just the odd look, with the guns we'd film really quickly, we'd roll camera, look around then do it really quickly then as soon as the action was done the gun was immediately straight back in the jacket (several occassions you'll notice this:
A)The camo guy shooting, two same shots were used because I only fired it for about two seconds)
B)For a couple of frames after the camo guy falls to the floor he goes to put the gun away

The sniper rifle scene is camera trickery, all shots that had the rifle in it were filmed in my back garden, the actor stood on a chair and I filmed low to give the illusion of him being up on a multi-storey, there was no way I was going up on a multi-storey car park with an a life size G36C assault rifle ha!

That's how paronoid I am filming outside with weapons, I've had a similar experience I made a short film back in 2007 inspired by the Hitman video games, I crouched outside my driveway (The setting was an informant safehouse surrounded by guards) and I put a silencer on my gun, a pedestrian stormed over and started screaming at me, it scared me, it really has, whenever we use a gun my heart races, all it takes is for one person to look out their window or a dog walker to pass. which is why when I write an action scene with a gun it's always inside, luckily we've never had the police called.

On the acting issue, we're not so much into acting as were are film-making, we're more behind the camera guys but unfortantely we don't know any people into acting so we have to do it ourselves.

Back