Effects of US economy on Indie FIlmmakers?

Hi.

I am reading the news about Downfall and crises of US economy. Just wanted to know what you people think how will this change the financial matters of INDIE FILMMAKERS of US and of INDIE FILMMAKERS from other part of the world. Because we all know US is a big market and every one loves to release his or her movie in US market (in DVD form or theatrical form etc). And how much currently this situation has changed your life as a filmmaker?

Regards

...well, it can stop you from doing what you need/want to do....

You can't drive 100 miles away that easily because of the high price of gas. You might not be able to make some of the purchases that you would normally for your productions. You really have to hope people will work for pizza....

-- spinner :cool:

well i feel surprized if you say that nothing effected Indie filmmakers. Diditn the rent of equipments changed? what about the distribution deals? ETC

I know indie filmmakers are poor but when financial crises comes doesnt they get more poor? distribution deals change? it becomes hard or easy to find actors? etc

Regards

The prices paid for indie movies has been in decline for years due to increased supply of independent films (due largely to cheap, high quality digital video equipment). The growing proliferation of illegal file sharing, and now the economic situation is only making things worse. Watching a movie is a luxury expense that people will cut back on in a down economy.

I've heard before that the film industry is "recession-proof," the idea being that after necessities, people tend to still shell out money for entertainment/escapism. But, it seems like things might be different in the society of today with changing technologies/media.

Back