License Plates???

How does one go about getting license plates okay'd for their film? A simple release form?

I thought you could custom order fake prop ones from the DMV but I'm not sure. Was hoping somebody would know or have some info. thanks!

Why not just cover up the plate, or use a fake plate? If you're operating the vehicle on public roads with the fake plate, and you get stopped, you should be able to produce the real plate, and I'd hope you'd have a film crew on the side of the road to show you weren't just trying to make trouble.

Shooting music videos that involved automobiles, we just obscured the plates, unless the artist wanted to show them. One artist had his name on his personalized plate. I can't see where it's a problem, if the owner of the plate doesn't care about being identified.

I actually had a conversation with someone about this last week at an Anime convention I was staffing, and I was just about to essentially say the same thing.

Heh.

The one damn time I can actually contribute something useful.

Lmao.

awesome thanks for the replies. pretty much what I figured. It's a drama that I'm shooting so I'd like to use realistic looking plates, long as the people who own them don't mind I guess it shouldn't be a problem. They aren't exactly cars that people would track down and want, hahah.

How does one go about getting license plates okay'd for their film? A simple release form?

I thought you could custom order fake prop ones from the DMV but I'm not sure. Was hoping somebody would know or have some info. thanks!
Hey buddy, see my post of 6/24/08 under license plates. Not a problem, never has been.

Back