• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you know if your movie is too loud or quiet?

We are getting our short film ready to be sent to film festivals. The audio engineer who worked on it, offered to make a lot of the sound effects himself. He then gave us a stereo copy with all the sound fused together. However, I feel a lot of the sound effects were a bit cheesy or fake sounding. I decided to redo quite a few of them but had to turn the volume up just a bit louder, in order to overpower the original sound effects, or at least to the point where you are not paying attention to the originals.

Can this cause a problem volume wise, or will the audience accept it as intentional, since it happens mostly during punching and stabbing sounds in fight and chase scenes?

Okay thanks. It's not that I didn't have enough time for him to work on it. I had plenty of time, but he said all he needed was 8 hours. He didn't have enough time apparently. But next time I will make sure not to pay till I am satisfied, even if it requires him/her to do more work.

Sorry, you're right, I'm just frustrated. I took a tour of an audio engineering school, but it's very music based only, and does not teach what you have to learn for filmmaking. I called another and they said the same thing.

How many times have Alcove and I already told you this? Only a tiny percentage of audio engineering schools/courses contain anything more than a basic introduction to film sound and very few indeed have good audio post courses and even those only cover the basics of Re-recording Mixing.

Also for my next project, I will hire a sound designer/audio engineer, who has actually mixed at least one 5.1 surround sound mix, for a feature length movie before. She/he will have to at least made one feature, or short with a very good 5.1 before I hire. I won't settle for stereo anymore. I went with stereo before cause I was told on here that a good stereo mix will sound better than a not so good 5.1 mix, so I went with him.

You just don't want to listen or learn anything do you? It's up to you of course but you're just going to get scammed all over again!

It does sound good just not the sound effects, and I should have created all my own and put mine in directly, rather trust his library. Lesson learned.

No it's not! If you're going to stipulate no library SFX make sure you've got a massive audio post budget, $100m+ blockbusters are usually the only films which can afford to bespoke record all the SFX. Library SFX are fine most of the time provided they are processed and mixed well.

Okay thanks. It's not that I didn't have enough time for him to work on it. I had plenty of time, but he said all he needed was 8 hours. He didn't have enough time apparently. But next time I will make sure not to pay till I am satisfied, even if it requires him/her to do more work.

As a very rough general audio post guide, an average of 1-2mins of film can be completed per day (although there are a lot of factors which can affect this figure). 8 hours for a 10 minute film is obviously way outside that guide figure though! BTW, different audio post facilities have different payment requirements. Half up front and half before delivery is probably the most common.

G

Okay I get it no schools teach it, but where do you guys learn? You must have learnt somewhere, right?

What is the point of answering your questions if a year or so later you just ask the same question all over again? I can't be bothered to look up the previous thread, so in a nutshell; interning, assisting and/or working with the in-house Re-recording Mixer of a respected commercial audio post facility for a couple of years or more.

G

Okay thanks. So you just learn by lots of practice. Well if I want to hire someone for my next project, what should I look for then? I thought maybe looking for someone who has done 5.1 on features before would be good, cause they know how to do it well, but if that's not what I should look for, then what exactly, to avoid getting scammed?

but where do you guys learn? You must have learnt somewhere, right?

Not LEARNT, it's LEARNED.

You learn by doing. You learn by watching experienced professionals in action. You learn in a mentor/apprentice relationship.

I learned the basics of working in a recording studio (channels, sub-busses, processors, effects, punches, tape editing, etc.) when I was in a band. The guitarist/composer/producer was also an engineer at a recording studio that was not busy at night, so we spent 4/5 nights a week recording. I can remember the night I walked in and they had a new 24 channel console and went from 8 to 16 tracks. (Ah! 2" reel-to-reel tape; I sometimes miss it.) Later I worked as a studio musician and would stay after I was finished to kibitz with the engineer. After a while I would be invited to "fly second chair" or assist on mix-downs. I later I put together a home project studio - modest Tascam 24 channel console and 8-track reel-to-reel, a bunch of MIDI keyboards and modules, hardware MIDI sequencer, some of the first "affordable" digital processors, SPMTE sync, etc.

I migrated to audio post, put in Pro Tools and learned by doing. I read voraciously, participated in a number of audio post forums, got a little email & forum mentoring from Randy Thom. I freelanced every audio post job I could get, starting with data transfers (analog & digital tape into Pro Tools, CDs onto hard drives for libraries), archiving, etc. Did some sessions as an audio assistant and finally got to do some editing work. I applied all that to my own business. Actually, the plan was to get picked up by one of those studios, but the economy went south, so I had to push my own business.

You learn anything by studying hard, interacting with your "betters" and your peers, and doing it as much as you can.

Interesting... Personally, I figure out what the level of the short is and then work out how much I went to spend. So my thoughts were:

- Bring in Mike McGuill for the music. I will promote him to the day I die - he's guaranteed to do a good job.
- Get a really good idea of the level of the short. Is it good enough that medium-level fests will want it, high end fests etc...? This means I will do a basic mix myself with some foley.
- Depending on the level, I set a budget and time for sound.

My last short wasn't good enough to do the high end circuit. However, I thought it was definitely strong enough to get into a decent level 'international' film fest (and I was fortunately, correct). This meant my decision was to do the mix myself and pay a pro to do a quick 8 hours (for an 8 minute short) to bring it into line with a stereo mix for cinema.

I offered it to Mike who, to his credit, did some outstanding music but turned down the mix as frankly, he thought it would need more time. However, I brought in another pro who was happy to mix it so the level was sufficient for the type of film fest I was aiming at.

It worked well and in the cinema, the sound was strong enough and held up well. When I surveyed the audience, they were fine about the sound although some of the visuals and edits did not hold up!

So you just learn by lots of practice.

That's NOT what I said, is it? Sure, lots of practice is necessary but is not enough on it's own, there's simply too much to learn for anyone to become particularly good just by practice/trail and error. As Alcove has said both here and previously and I said in my last message and previously, it's essential to observe and be taught by an experienced, successful practitioner. Again, please read and try to understand what we are writing!

Well if I want to hire someone for my next project, what should I look for then?

I've already told you but you don't seem willing or able to put 2 and 2 together and understand what you've been told! The art of mixing is primarily defined by what you hear and what you hear is defined by the sound system/room acoustics. The type of mix you want will dictate the sound system/acoustics required and therefore define what the mixer hears and ultimately how they mix. For example, there is no stereo (2 channel) theatrical audio format, so if a film festival accepts stereo mixes for screening the chances are they (and the filmmakers being exhibited) don't know what they are doing and therefore any decent stereo sound system/acoustics is just as likely to be appropriate for mixing as any other. 5.1 is however a theatrical format and cinemas install very specific theatrical 5.1 sound systems, in very specific acoustics and all of it is very specifically calibrated. In order for the mixer to mix appropriately, they have to hear appropriately and that means mixing in a theatrical mix stage (which obviously has the same specific 5.1 theatrical sound system, acoustics and calibration)! A theatrical 5.1 mix is therefore massively more expensive than a TV (HDTV/DVD/BluRay) 5.1 mix, which in turn is more expensive than a stereo mix.

What you need to "look for" as a basic first step is a combination of: 1. The correct facilities (mix room) for the type/s of mix you require, 2. A Re-recording Mixer who has the skill/knowledge/experience to use those facilities and 3. An appropriate amount of time to allow the Re-recording Mixer to do a decent/good job.

This also feeds back into your incorrect statement that one learns "just by practice", practice on what; a stereo system, a TV 5.1 system or a theatrical 5.1 system?

Not LEARNT, it's LEARNED.

Actually it is LEARNT! "Learn" is an irregular verb like "burn". "Learned" (pronounced learn-ned) is an adjective to describe someone who is very well informed/educated on a partiicular subject. I realise in the US that "learned" as an adjective has been dropped and it's now used by Americans as just the past tense of the verb "to learn" but that is technically incorrect or maybe it's been done for so long in the US that it's now considered to be correct there but in the English language "learnt" is the correct past tense of "Learn".

Personally, I figure out what the level of the short is and then work out how much I went to spend.

This is a bit backwards but the basic philosophy is good. There's obviously no logic to spending a large sum of money to have a commercial quality sound mix made if the rest of the film doesn't match-up to that level of quality. Most commonly though the situation is the opposite way around, a disproportionate amount of time, effort and money have been put into the visuals and the sound mix detracts from the film rather than adds to it. The key is finding an appropriate balance, which was I think your basic point and one I would whole-heartedly agree with.

This meant my decision was to do the mix myself and pay a pro to do a quick 8 hours (for an 8 minute short) to bring it into line with a stereo mix for cinema.

Baring in mind that there is no such thing as a "stereo mix for cinema", paying a "pro" to bring your mix "into line" with one is a pretty vague target! Certainly paying a pro for a few hours should substantially improve the quality of your stereo mix though and hopefully achieve at least roughly ballpark levels.

G

Last edited:
Back