• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

VFX/CC Workflow

Hi all,

I posted recently on something similar but now I have a couple possible avenues for the post work depending on who I end up going with (VFX/CC people)

Here are the two options and how I'm understanding is the best workflow for each. Please critique anything you see being wrong!

VFX/CC (with AE)

PrPro offline edit > export EDL > Import EDL into REDCineX > Relink files with r3d files > export 2K/4K clips as necessary as .DPX >

hand off to VFX/CC artist so they do their work > they export .DPX finished product > I import back into PrPro for final touches, syncing with audio > Final 2K master export.

VFX/CC (with AE then Resolve)

Virtually the same process except they'd be using Resolve instead of AE. But they'd also use .DPX files and give me a .DPX in return.

So that's how I'm seeing it right now. The reason for the 2K and 4K clips are because I've punched in quite a bit on some clips to reframe. So to keep the 2K resolution and not have a zoom in of 30-40% on some shots, I'll need to use the 4K in those spots. 2K for everything else I didn't punch in on.

I'm using CS5.5 right now, but seem to be having the problem of importing the EDL into REDCineX. I can't seem to relink it to the files I want. Not sure why, but the correct files are grayed out and I can't click on them even though they have the same name. I'm probably doing something wrong.

The other option I was thinking of is if the EDL isn't the way to go, I could media manage the project, creating a trimmed and cleaned project for the offline edit, then export that as an XML, and use that in place of the EDL. Let me know if I'm way off in the deep end now. But thought that might be an easy way of letting Premiere trim my clips to what I'm actually using, instead of hoping an EDL list gets it right. Plus an XML export from the main project seems to be including EVERYTHING even if I'm not using it in the sequence.

I also wasn't sure if I should be upgrading to CS6 or CC... Are there big advancements in the exporting EDL/XML and that workflow, or is it all the same between CC and CS5.5?

Thanks everybody.

Yeah, speed changes should be part of the effects work, not something in your edit. Though, of course you will need to make room \ trim the edit once you get the vfx time effects shots back.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

As far as speed changes go it would add too many additional VFX shots to the project so I have to do them. But ideally yes I think it would simplify things to have all that done in one place.

I'm actually okay with the speed changes in premiere. They definitely aren't as good. But the look actually fits with the story. Granted I could get much smoother speed changes in other programs. It actually feels better here.

Back