48hr Film Project pre-prod?

Hi all,
Iv decided to jump in with both feet and either join or form a team for an upcoming 48hr film project.
For those who don't know, the rules stipulate no creative work outside the 48hr window, so at this stage is JUST planning.

http://www.48hourfilm.com/portland_oregon/

I'm looking for tips, pointers, and any suggestions..

I need to set a deadline on when I will decided to form my OWN team (or not). Are there a limited number of slots for these things?

I don't see any detriment in having a large or large-ish crew, as long as there's good synergy, it's organized well, and everyone knows what they're doing. A small crew is great too, but has less possibilities.

Here's one of my favorite shorts a friend of mine made for 48HFP, with a pretty big crew (it appeared in legit festivals afterward, too)... hopefully you can see this video - if there's no box but only a "play" control, click it - it should work even if you're not logged into Facebook:[QT]http://video.ak.facebook.com/video-ak-sf2p/v2686/119/35/1160340522472_40326.mp4[/QT]

Last edited:
Iv been having fun trying to round up a team. Iv had some stellar folks respond, but they all say the same thing.. "Im interested, but only if somebody with experience and expertise is on the team too!" What makes that funny is that everyone who responded that way, IS QUALIFIED and an EXPERT and would be exactly the person they want on the team before they join. haha..

So, Im sendign everyone a "hey, these are the other people who are interested.. talk amongst your selves and lets commit already!'

All in all, a great time so far!

Well it came together like magic. My team roster is full of COMMITTED professionals. Some of you might know some of them (one at least is a fellow forum member!)

Kim Winternheimer Writer\Story lead
Serena Berry Crew Boom Op
Norm Sanders Director
Bernardo Pantoja Assistant DP\Swing
Alex Harris DP
Brian Harden Crew \ Sound
Jim Mattingly Composer
William Bryan Writer \ Assistant
Jacob Reeves Writer \ Assistant
Dan Scott Producer\whatever
Elissa Brentano Talent
Carl Anderson Crew
Sophia Brown Talent
David Poland Talent
Jason Newell Talent
Chris Weilert Talent \ AD
Mindy Budd MUA/Stylist

We had our first prepoduciton meeting last night. Wow, great team. TEAMCORE is off and running.

Well it came together like magic. My team roster is full of COMMITTED professionals. Some of you might know some of them (one at least is a fellow forum member!)

Kim Winternheimer Writer\Story lead
Serena Berry Crew Boom Op
Norm Sanders Director
Bernardo Pantoja Assistant DP\Swing
Alex Harris DP
Brian Harden Crew \ Sound
Jim Mattingly Composer
William Bryan Writer \ Assistant
Jacob Reeves Writer \ Assistant
Dan Scott Producer\whatever
Elissa Brentano Talent
Carl Anderson Crew
Sophia Brown Talent
David Poland Talent
Jason Newell Talent
Chris Weilert Talent \ AD
Mindy Budd MUA/Stylist

We had our first prepoduciton meeting last night. Wow, great team. TEAMCORE is off and running.

Congrats, and nice job as a producer to form such a team. Can't wait to see your final product.

whats amazing me is the caliber of folks who have expressed interest in joining up. Hopefully, my biggest job will be staying out of the way! :)

Staying out of the way is not an option. With the size of the Team you have gathered, your job will be to hold a giant clock and point to it every other minute and say "Perfection be damned, let's keep it moving people!!!"

Especially if you're shooting at more than one location. Everyone will want to get everything just right, from the make-up to the lighting to the food....Don't forget the food!!! But 48 hours really means filming only on Saturday.

I've been involved in 7, strictly as a writer. It's a hoot, but I've also seen half the crew walk off in a snit because things weren't as "professional" as they'd been expecting.

It's supposed to be fun, and really is a creative "rush"....Hope you enjoy it.

Best

Midnite

It does kind of seem like a lot of people. But from recent experience as long as they are all fully understanding of the time line, and in it to win, but also have fun you should be fine. I had a group of 5, but during our premiere, one group was 22 deep, AND they had a mobile editing suite.

On a side not, I'm new to this whole thing, this is about 6 or 7 months of making movies for me. Seeing your film on the big screen is one of the most gratifying and truly mind blowing experiences. I was on a natural high for the whole week after. It might be a bit different if it wasn't received well, but man did I have loads of fun.

one at least is a fellow forum member!

Name & shame! We don't tolerate their kind around here.
smiley_colbert.gif

...oh wai...

When does your event start, btw? You're gonna have a lot of fun. Don't forget basic crafts, btw.

Dreddy,
I steeped up for a 24 hour project as a DP for another guys production, last minute thing, etc.. thats done. For the 48hour project I'm running the show. Paid the registration etc.

After our first preproduction meeting we've made some choices. We have secured an interesting single location. The location has enough flexibility as to allow for the writing of a few different sets without having to move the whole production. But things can change.

Back