• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ADR Recording Tips

Dear All,

I'm new to recording ADR and I wanted to see if anyone had any tips on how to deaden a studio.

The studio I work at has about a 15x15 foot room with a low ceiling (about 9-10 feet) and wood walls.

There is quite a first reflection in the room when a mic gets more than a foot away from the person.

I am using acoustical foam and tube traps.

I am supposed to be recording ADR for an outside shot and that means I have to make it extremely anechoic.

Any other tips are warmly welcomed.

Thanks - Ryan

Another possibility to always keep in mind:

You can do your Voice Dub on the set. You get the same ambient sounds, same mic, same crew, same vibe. It depends on the reason for needing to dub, of course.

But if you can get dialog repeated right there during shooting, you save time and effort.

This will save you a lot of time and trouble. Also, if you need to add ADR to one or two sentences in a scene, and it has to be done in a studio, I suggest replacing the dialogue for the entire scene. That way the ADR wont stick out like a thorn.

Unfortunately I don't work on the set - otherwise I would definitely do that.

Does anyone know of crews actually going back to sets just to get the dialogue?

I know in K-19 Widowmaker the foley artist actually went into a submarine and recorded all of the foley in the submarine.

Do they do the same with ADR sometimes?

I also saw a making of "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" and they actually recorded all of the dialogue on a farm.

Also in "where the wild things are" they recorded the voices of the big monsters on a huge set with props and everything and acted out the scenes together.

The second best thing to do is record it in a studio, bring a mono portable speaker and play it at the locations and rerecord it again with a mic. Remember to give variation to the placement of the mic so you can have more options to choose from in the mix. I've heard of people doing this, but I haven't done it myself.

Good idea. I'll have to try it someday.

That is what they did for Tom Hanks in Cast Away (previous post).

@MrBoss: Are you familiar with any ADR recording software that creates beeps/streamers and the like?

Last edited:
Back