CREATURE - Besmirching Indie Filmmakers

As a side note, on the “30 Days in Hell” documentary for The Devils Rejects, I’m sure Sid Haig says that he’ll never work in the industry again, unless it’s for Rob Zombie, Quentin Tarantino, or… somebody else, I forget who.

My point is, he obviously decided against that, he’s been in a string of low budget horrors since then. Shame really.

Directorik - I don't disagree with you. I'm a huge fan of B/indie horror and if I was better at what I did I would claim it as my genre. However, an indie horror that gets a large theatrical release isn't doing anyone any favors when their promotional materials poster/trailer discourage going to see it. It needs a bigger audience than patrons of the art because when it fails, it gets the press we just saw. I personally thought the trailer had potential (like I said I like these kinds of movies) but it needed to be re-edited and remove the rubber suit shots (not everyone eagerly goes to see the rubber suit) and a couple other things. The poster needed to be more traditional horror and mysterious and not reveal Aligator man so clearly and just show the main actors standing around. You do not need a huge budget to have a good poster and to cut a better trailer.

As for reviews that wouldn't have likely changed much but I'm not big on reading before I see anyways.

Last edited:
After reading the posts and that initial blurb I was thinking it was going to look and sound like shit...but it doesn't. It's just not original. And they showcase the monster right on the poster, which is a terrible idea.

It's too bad. I can see how some of the cast and crew would have been excited by the opening and the hoopla...come to find out their movie gets blasted...ouch. That's gotta hurt.

It's amazing how we compare films...compare actors...compare photography--in terms of budget and popularity. Creature looks better than most micro budget films...yet we smash it to bits because it's trying to be something it's not...I don't know. I'm just blathering.

I think judging by screencaps I've seen, either Wheat or Kholi could have outdone this for a few hundred grand. Red Herring was certainly better than this, and not even a direct to video offer yet.

I think industry connections are showing their strength here. I'm starting to think that it should be Friendmaker instead of Filmmaker since who you know obviously carries more weight than what you make. Sad really, but it is what it is.

Watching this film last night, I'm thinking that some kids talked some old school guys from the drive in days into believing it was still 1980. (rubber creature=wide release theatrical hit)

Watching this film last night, I'm thinking that some kids talked some old school guys from the drive in days into believing it was still 1980. (rubber creature=wide release theatrical hit)

....it's not?

crap.

Haven't seen this yet, though it does look like something that I will at some point, so reserving judgement. But, hey, good on them for getting it screened.

I'm a sucker for any monster movies. Really haven't seen a decent one since Pumpkinhead. So sick of CGI creatures (like the ones in the "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", which nearly put me to sleep). Give me a dude in a rubber suit over that anytime.

I like this type of movie (Jeepers Creepers), but just not THIS particular one. It looks sucky.

The movie was produced by Sid Sheinberg, who was President of Universal Pictures in the
1970s. In fact, he discovered Steven Speilberg, and brought him to Universal. Sid has an
extensive background in film production, promotion, and distribution, which is how he was
able to get CREATURE into 1500 theatres. They advertised CREATURE extensively on TV (mostly cable), and in most markets theatres were PAID to run trailers for the movie whether they had it booked or not. Since we don't know the actual budget of CREATURE, Sheinberg could actually be "in the black" with $300,000 in boxoffice (already). It will be an interesting case to follow...

... and in most markets theatres were PAID to run trailers for the movie whether they had it booked or not. Since we don't know the actual budget of CREATURE, Sheinberg could actually be "in the black" with $300,000 in boxoffice (already). It will be an interesting case to follow...
Since the theaters were paid by Sid's distribution co. wouldn't the theaters be in the black, not Sid?
Sid's just out that much more money - in addition - to what was spent on cable advertising.

Yeah, I think this will be a very interesting case to follow over the next two years and see what details roll forward.
I think ol' Sid called in quite a few markers on this one and is really gonna burn up all his street cred.

Unless he's got cash and assets out the wazoo, this was a hail Mary that failed big time.
Possible career ending move, or at least permanently handicapping.

The movie was produced by Sid Sheinberg, who was President of Universal Pictures in the
1970s. In fact, he discovered Steven Speilberg, and brought him to Universal. Sid has an
extensive background in film production, promotion, and distribution, which is how he was
able to get CREATURE into 1500 theatres. They advertised CREATURE extensively on TV (mostly cable), and in most markets theatres were PAID to run trailers for the movie whether they had it booked or not. Since we don't know the actual budget of CREATURE, Sheinberg could actually be "in the black" with $300,000 in boxoffice (already). It will be an interesting case to follow...

If he advertised "extensively" then $300,000 won't come close to even covering the TV ads.

I wish I had known about the movie! I've never even heard about it before today. Too bad no theaters around here are playing it otherwise I'd definitely go see it. I'd rather pay $8.50 to see Creature than pay $8.50 to see a shitty Daniel Craig movie or 75% of hollywood flicks.

I saw the trailer during my viewing of Planet of The Apes prequel, I got a distinct "nostalgia" vibe, like others mentioned, reminded me of the good times in high school... which is probably what sold it to distributors. (I posted my theory that nostalgia is super hot right now in another thread)

It's amazing how we compare films...compare actors...compare photography--in terms of budget and popularity. Creature looks better than most micro budget films...yet we smash it to bits because it's trying to be something it's not...I don't know. I'm just blathering.

No, I think that makes perfect sense. This looks far better (production quality, and trailer) than most micro-budget films. If it didn't have such low-ratings on the tomatoemeter, I would consider watching it. Personally, this isn't my favorite genre of films, anyway, so for me to go watch something like this, I need to hear some solid reviews, first. At least better than 11%, anyway.

On a side-note, wheat, "Rise-o-Apes" is definitely a reboot, not a prequel.

Last edited:
I finally watched this a few weeks ago.

I didn't think it was as terrible as it's made out to be. Don't get me wrong, it was crap, but not as bad as I was expecting. I'd maybe give it a 3/10; I was expecting a 0/10!

Back