Can I hire acting agents out of my area?

I live in Saskatoon, Canada. There a quite a few low budget and independent films where I live, but I cannot find an agent to hook me up with acting opportunities. There is one, but I emailed her and haven't heard back, and that was a while ago.

I was thinking because of all the social networking of today, and cheap long distance calling, is it really necessary to hire an agent in the same area where you live anymore? Could I hire an agent in Chicago for example, and they can network with me and get me connections in my area, even they, though are not from there? Or do agents just only work locally? Do they have a problem working with actors in other countries? I could email agents in other cities across the U.S. and Canada, but I would like to know if it's a good idea, and how I go about it.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, but expect them to find work in the area THEY live in, instead of your area. I could be wrong though.

Expecting out of town agents to have contacts in your area or even if they're interested in representing you is asking for disappointment.

In the meantime, I'll get some popcorn to watch the other comments flow in.

Well I don't see what the big deal is. In my day job, I have to ship products to clients in other cities. I myself have ordered filmmaking equipment from other cities. So I don't see why an agent would have a problem making a call to a different city, as long as they are being payed just the same, especially with the convenience of the internet nowadays and all.

As far as I know, an agent is a person who finds jobs for actors, authors, film directors, musicians, models, writers, etc.

I didn't think that they had to get those persons jobs in the same cities or areas that they live in.

I could email agents in other cities across the U.S. and Canada, but I would like to know if it's a good idea, and how I go about it.
Hell H44 yet another question...

No offensive but are you in some kind of alternate reality or trolling us? Sorry to be harsh but you deserve it here. What makes you think that a U.S. based casting agent would want to help you - a director with zero directing credits, zero directing showreel, probably no complete script, zero funding (apart from their own funds) who will be filming in Saskatoon Canada? They won't (apart from some Z-list agents who will simply take your money). What makes you think U.S. based actors would want to make the trip to be in your movie? They won't (apart from very very desperate ones who you will have to pay all expenses for including flights and accommodation).

The same goes for inside-Canada but outside your province agents unless you're going to send $$$$$$ there way, ditto the actors.

How much money you planning on wasting like this or were you thinking they would do this for free... Or is this just your dreamland and you're wasting our time. It is a dreamland. Come on H44...

:bang:

From some of your threads, you're obviously smart but then there are other threads like this that make you sound completely clueless and in your own personal dreamworld despite 4,500+ posts.

If you carry on asking questions like this without thinking before you ask, more people are going to stop answering. A lot already have. It takes time to respond to you, time we're not doing our own work, our own filming so please respect that and think before you start a thread.

Last edited:
h44 is a robotic organism, sent from the future to troll indietalk, he was programmed to ask the most basic questions and re-invent them in some shape or form, while we view this as a lack of intelligence, his creativity in asking the same question in new forms of life is astounding and is a sign of this robots intelligence..

even I as creative as I like to think I am cannot ask soo many pointless and self explanitory questions..

after ending each thread H44 should simply Reply "I'll be back"

I don't mean I want to hire an agent to get directing projects. I want to hire an agent to get me acting connections, for acting jobs. I don't expect to get directing jobs with what I have done so far. One guy I met has an agent that got him acting job, three hours away, and he hardly had any reels to show for it, so I figure maybe I could do the same, accept in this case, hire an agent in a different city, since their are none for film acting where I live.

Last edited:
I don't mean I want to hire an agent to get directing projects. I want to hire an agent to get me acting connections, for acting jobs. I don't expect to get directing jobs with what I have done so far. One guy I met has an agent that got him acting job, three hours away, and he hardly had any reels to show for it, so I figure maybe I could do the same, accept in this case, hire an agent in a different city, since their are none for film acting where I live.

have you heard of the internet?

Okay thank you. But I have already typed that exact thing into google search, a few months ago. I emailed the sites that were listed and have never got emails back yet. So I wanted to expand my options and hire someone outside of my area.

Okay thank you. But I have already typed that exact thing into google search, a few months ago. I emailed the sites that were listed and have never got emails back yet. So I wanted to expand my options and hire someone outside of my area.

pick up the fricking phone and call them! go to their offices!! if you wanted something bad enough you would make the effort to bloody get it!

get off your backside and do your own dirty work for once!

@Sweetie: That's from "Broken Arrow" Fun film.

H44: Call and ask, they'll have jobs in their own regions because so much of what they do depends on keeping relationships fresh with the folks who do hiring, which requires being in handshake distance with them. There are quite a few US productions who shoot in Canada, although not necessarily close to you, so there would be travel involved… and until you become a caught after commodity, you'll need to front the money for that travel.

I have a suggestion for you H44 but not about what you're asking in this thread. Another avenue you could go down to accumulate a bit of an acting reel is by joining a voice acting forum, there are two you can find just by using google. It isn't on screen acting but it might be another way to get your acting ability out there and as an actor your voice is just as important as your physicality and displaying of emotions and feelings.

Back