My Night out at the Saudis'

sfoster

Staff Member
In 2013 I met some new friends from saudi arabia

Such great people, amazing hosts, and boy do these guys know how to party!!!

Basically over there they just have hookah bars, not alcohol bars, and so here in america these guys grab a bottle of vodka and keep pouring shots until it's empty :lol:

One of them is heading back for a month, so we threw a little going away party and I decided to take some pictures and video to commemorate the event. (and for practice)

The food.. damn these guys know how to cook. best turkey burger i've ever had. but this night they made a more traditional dish. I don't know all the cooking secrets, so don't ask me

Check out how the rice is in four columns.. crazy
food-rice.jpg

Chicken and potatos cooked separately
food-chicken.jpg

Then it's all combined into one dish.

Everyone sits around the table and eats from the central dish with their hands.
Very difficult to eat the rice effectively at first, but with some tips I got the hang of it
food-combined.jpg

(^ whoops, DOF is too shallow here)

Then later some people started playing music.

I had just met this singer, max, that night. What an entertainer! Only 22 and he's never played in a band or done a live show anywhere, but he was awesome!!

Mostly just practical lighting here. no color adjustment, but i bounced a 500 watt led off the wall on the left. i didn't want to be obtrusive and kill the vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpNU8Zm8yP8

I recorded the audio with a borrowed tascam dr-40. Honestly it took me 10 minutes just to figure out how to turn the thing on, and then I didn't have headphones with me. It's a miracle the sound turned out as well as it did, especially with those drums banging around.

It was a great time. Much better than this friday night where I am doing laundry and posting on the internet. :no:

Last edited:

Not a big fan of the guys night out, huh?
With all the vodka and smoking who needs em :lol:

i think it's part of the saudi culture as well.. never even met my one friends wife
strangely their women aren't even allowed to drive. very much a contrast with american culture

Not a big fan of the guys night out, huh?
With all the vodka and smoking who needs em :lol:

i think it's part of the saudi culture as well.. never even met my one friends wife
strangely their women aren't even allowed to drive. very much a contrast with american culture

You got it -- women in Saudi Arabia are oppressed -- severely. It's kind of hard for me to keep quiet about that.

You got it -- women in Saudi Arabia are oppressed -- severely. It's kind of hard for me to keep quiet about that.

I can't hold that against any of the individuals here, these guys aren't politicians they're english majors. It would be like someone hating me in europe because I'm an american.

I brought up this subject to them once, and they agreed that it should be changed FWIW. Their primary concern was that some women there don't have brothers or a husband or father to look after them, so they are left helpless.

In america we think of it as harsh oppression, but interestingly in some ways it actually promotes chivalry. If you have a wife, you're still the one that has to go do the grocery shopping. If you have a sister you have to take care of her and drive her around, etc. Ultimately it's a cultural issue and if these guys are any indication I think it's headed in a good direction. They seemed very progressive and open minded in their views about women's rights. Nothing I could do to change their mind about it since they were already in agreement

Back